34.| BACK IN BLACK

"WINKY."

Eris was gently shaken awake and snapped to reality in a second, her fingers inches from her waker's throat. Steve stilled and reached up, taking her hand and pulling it down.

"Let's save the murder for later. I mean, not actual murder, but—"

"Duly noted, Spangles."

She pulled her hand loose and stretched her aching limbs, realizing Bucky and Sam had already gotten out of the car. How long had she been out? It felt like minutes, but from the midday light, she realized it must have been hours.

"How are you doing?"

Eris gazed at him. Since their last, colder interaction, words between them had been quick and tense. But Steve seemed genuine.

"When everything is over, I'll be great."

"As in killing Sinthea?"

She regretted telling him that. Eris internally cursed herself, stepping out of the car and shutting the door a little harder than necessary. Steve winced as his buggy shook. "Yep."

"You think we'll find her with the doctor and other super soldiers?"

"I think she'll show up at some point. And I'll be ready."

"Eris, you don't have to do this alone."

"No. But I'm going to. It's the only thing I want to do Steve. Something that I actually want." Because she could. She had the ability, the right, to want and make her own decisions.

He looked solemn. "And after it all?"

"I... haven't really thought that far."

"The Accords aren't going to change, Winky, no matter how this ends. We're still going to be wanted. You're still going to be a fugitive."

"The government is made up of a bunch of idiots," she said. "I can handle them. Once Sinthea's gone... I won't be hunted. At least, not like before. Not like now."

"Will you leave, then?"

There were two different responses on her tongue. One from the woman on the rooftop, dancing to 40's music and laughing over the smell of burnt pancakes and lasagna.

And then there was one from the Eris before. The daughter of the Red Skull, asset and weapon. Who'd kill before standing down.

Two different responses were on her tongue and a war was going on in her mind. But Eris had learned how to keep the fighting to the background. How to keep it quiet. She only smiled sadly.

"I don't know, Spangles."

But it was different from not knowing. From not having control, being at the mercy of others. She didn't know, but she'd be able to choose.