31.| WHATEVER IT TAKES

A WHITE CELL.

That's what Eris was kept in. They could cuff her hands and put a dozen guards on her detail, but it wouldn't make any difference to the shadows. To the darkness.

So she was put in a white cell. Cold, bright, and empty.

There was no comfort here.

She was going from one form of imprisonment to the next and Eris didn't know how much more she could take. She should've left the moment Bucky brought her back. Turned her back on it all and never looked back.

Eris didn't know what would happen now.

But she was ready for it all to be over. Even if that meant spending the rest of her life in this cold, white cell.

Wherever she was taken, she didn't remember. Some sort of gas kept her half-conscious during the entire trip and by the time she could think straight again, the cell had stopped moving. There was only one window. A small one, on the tightly locked door.

A faint knock brought her back to reality.

Eris looked up.

Tony stood outside of her cell. The man in a can, wearing a dark suit and sunglasses. He pushed them down and peered in, brown eyes unreadable.

"Heya, Flickers."

Eris didn't answer, gazing dully at him. The man pressed his lips together and glanced over. Toward where she couldn't see. A guard, she assumed.

"Can I get some one on one here, please?"

"Sorry, sir, we have orders not to open that door until interrogation."

"And that'll be how long?"

"I don't know, sir."

Tony sighed, rubbing at the bridge of his nose. Giving the unseen soldier another look, he arched a brow. "Can I at least get a little privacy? Pretty sure she's not gonna do anything, given the circumstances."

Silence was his answer for a moment. Tony's brow rose higher.

"Pretty please?"

"Very well, sir. Five minutes."

"Perfect. You're a saint."

Eris caught sight of the man as he left and realized she was right. It was a guard, a rifle strapped across his shoulders, colors of military green on his uniform.

Tony's face leveled with the window again and he gave her a long look. Eris gazed straight back and he sighed again. "We were looking for you, Flickers."

"Were you?"

His brows furrowed. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Did she want to go into it? More than anything, Eris didn't. She didn't want to talk, she didn't want to go into the horrors of the past few weeks. Weeks. How long would it have been if Bucky hadn't snapped her out of Sinthea's control?