5.| I'M THE BAD GUY, DUH

ERIS DECIDED SHE DIDN'T CARE if she wasn't supposed to be wandering around

She was tired of being cooped up. She was slowly but steadily running out of time. And she'd be damned if Captain Spangly didn't like it.

She needed to report in.

Rumlow would be wondering what happened.

But right now, Eris knew her best bet was to get to know her surroundings. So she slipped out of the medical room when no one was around, and took to the hallways. Steve had mentioned a team. That meant others had to be here. Not Tony Stark though, from what she'd overheard.

I'm still retired, you know.

She tried to shake that thought off. There'd be time to worry about the man in a can later.

The Avengers had their own area on the upper coast of New York. The facility was huge, if not a little empty for its size. Her footsteps echoed off the hallway floor and Eris gazed around, trying to drink up as much as she could. Rooms, corridors, ways in and out.

She felt like a stranger here.

Though, she didn't remember a time where she'd felt like she belonged.

Eris just started to turn the corner when she heard the sound of voices. Coming to a stop, she turned on her heel toward where they were coming from. There were shouts, barked orders. Hesitating, she glanced over her shoulder.

Then she started forward, picking up her pace.

"Go right, Sam! No, no! Your other right!"

"Come on, man! You've got a bigger suit, I don't see how that's fair."

"It's fair, cause I'm War Machine. When you get an Iron Man suit, you can have the upper hand. But until then, stop going left."

"Fine, whatever. Again?"

"As long as you stop complaining."

From the open door, Eris stood on a higher level, gazing toward the sound of voices below. It was an open training yard of sorts, occupied by four figures. Two men, facing off in the middle. One had a heavy black iron suit— the other with a pair of wings. Two others stood outside the ring, watching.

She narrowed her eyes, trying to get a better look.

A young woman of scarlet hair. And beside her... a man of red skin.

Eris stared for a long moment, trying to comprehend the fact that this man didn't have the face of her father. Rather, he seemed to levitate a few inches off the ground, lithe and tall. And he had a cloak of gold.

She moved closer to the balcony edge, watching the other two fight.

They were both well trained and quick, from the man with wings to the one in the suit. One glance proved they were fairly evenly matched. Eris searched the rest of the training room, but didn't see anyone else. No Captain America, no other threats.