14.| WHAT'S IN YOUR HEAD

ERIS FROZE AND RETREATED A STEP BACK. At her side, Steve looked over in concern. "Eris?"

"W-we need to get down there."

"I'm retired," Tony protested. But he was already moving back, stripping off his suit jacket. He tapped an open keyboard on the opposite wall and a set of hidden doors opened, revealing a red-iron suit.

The crowds inside were chaos. Steve gave her another look, which she barely concerned, and stepped up on a table.

"Listen up, people! These streets are under attack, so right now, the safest thing is for you all to stay put. Is that understood?"

The room went quiet. Steve raised a brow and one by one, the patrons began to nod. Looking satisfied, he gazed toward Natasha.

"You armed, Nat?"

"Is that even a question?"

He smiled and glanced over. "Eris?"

"Duh, Spangles."

"Good. Wanda, Vision, go around and work on getting people off the street. Tony, Rhodey, take air support. Barton, you in?"

Clint shifted in the crowd and every eye snapped to him. Rubbing the bridge of his nose tiredly, he shook his head and sighed. "Sure, fine, whatever. Who needs retirement?"

Steve nodded, stepping back off the table. Eris moved to his side, though her heart was beating rapidly in her chest.

Crossbones was here.

Sinthea, whoever she was, was here.

Eris was utterly terrified and hated that feeling with a burning passion. Internally, she swore-- their heads were going to roll for interrupting her afternoon.

"You know her," Steve said quietly. They moved down the stairs, Natasha a few steps back, and Eris stiffened. "The woman on the street."

"I... don't know. Maybe."

"What are you not telling me, Eris?"

"Too many things."

They reached the bottom and Steve kicked the doors open. Outside, sirens wailed through the air and it was complete and utter chaos. People were screaming, shouting, and calling out for help. 

Some sort of bomb had been set off in the street, overturning cars and putting a good-sized hole in the nearest shwarma restaurant.

Crossbones and Sinthea waited for them near the crater.

Eris felt nauseous.

"Rumlow," Steve moved forward, shifting his shield on his arm. He'd brought that, but not his suit. He looked out of place without it, in an odd way.