6.| I GOT THE POWER

SITTING ON THE ROOFTOP, ERIS PULLED HER KNEES INTO HER CHEST.

She studied the night sky above, chewing on her lower lip. She was here, and she was following the plan, but she didn't feel very victorious. Not like she'd expected to.

Instead, the night was cold and lonely.

Vision had shown her the entire facility. Every square foot, it seemed like. She found herself fascinated by him. The way he chose his words, the way he looked at the world.

He might not be human, but he certainly understood how humankind worked.

She'd left with the promise of returning to her room, but had come up here instead. It had been too long since she'd tasted fresh air. Too long since she'd seen the stars.

At some point, she was going to have to get a message out.

Eris still hadn't figured out how to do that yet.

"Can't sleep?"

She started.

The footsteps that padded over were much too quiet for the well-built figure they supported. Steve stopped at her side, gazing out. The ocean lapped at the beach at least thirty feet below. It was a good spot. A relaxing spot.

"It's pretty quiet out here."

She turned her gaze back outward. "It is."

"I heard you met the others."

"Oh, don't tell me I'm in trouble for leaving timeout."

Steve grunted, sitting beside her. Eris tensed, but did her best not to show it, keeping her gaze fixed on the horizon. If she gazed out far enough, she was sure she could see the end of the world. Or maybe she just wished she could.

"No. I don't think I'd like being cooped up either, to be honest."

"It's pretty suffocating."

He was quiet for a moment. Then he sighed.

"You know, Eris, at some point you're going to have to tell us who you really are."

Eris started, her gaze snapping over. Blue eyes held her own, even if they weren't threatening. But panic crashed over her. He knew.

Something had gone wrong.

"S-sorry?"

"The more we look into Eris Griffith, the harder things are to find. Even foster kids have a background of sort, you know. Yet someone went to great lengths to erase your own. Or maybe it never actually existed."

Eris didn't answer. She didn't know how— and she didn't know what to say. But she was tense. Ready to move at a moment's notice.

"Look, I understand that you don't trust us. I don't expect you too. Not now, at least. But we can't help if we don't even know who you are."