12.| IF YOU KNEW THE DAMAGE THAT I DID

NIGHTMARES OF RED HAUNTED ERIS'S DREAMS.

She fought between moments of darkness and floods of images that she couldn't remember. One scream in particular echoed at the back of her mind. One she recognized. But at the same time, one she'd never heard before.

Sometimes, Eris controlled the shadows.

Sometimes, they controlled her.

A voice laughed in the endless abyss. Female, cold, and cruel. Her voice kept repeating over and over again. The same words, though they held no meaning.

"Oh, Eris. You were once hope."

She saw flashes of red. Felt the sensation of cold, burning so deep that she was sure she'd never be warm again. Eris opened her mouth to scream, but three words came out instead.

"Bereit zu gehorchen."

Eris woke up a start.

A figure stood inches from her bed.

In a second, the shadows had the intruder slammed against the opposite wall and she was on her feet, knife brandished. Her captive's green eyes went wide and Eris caught sight of scarlet hair.

Then a red light filled the room and her shadows screamed, slithering back into her hands. Eris stumbled back, shielding her eyes.

"Turn that damn thing off!"

The surge of light vanished. Lowering her arm and blinking hard, Eris gazed at the young woman standing across from her. Wanda's face was pale and she rubbed at her neck, wincing. Confused anger pulsed through Eris's blood.

"What the hell was that?"

"You're the one who attacked me!"

"You were watching me sleep!"

The woman looked taken aback, brows drawing together. "You were having a nightmare, Eris. I was trying to wake you before the entire compound came rushing in here."

Eris blinked.

A nightmare.

That's all it had been.

She squeezed her eyes shut and rubbed at her temples. Her head pounded and exhaustion crashed over her in wave after wave. It felt like she hadn't had a proper rest in days.

Truthfully, she hadn't.

Not since the mission to Skull-House.

"Sorry," Eris muttered. "Haven't been sleeping well, lately."

Wanda's eyes softened and she offered a small smile. She looked tired too, if not a little pale. The manhunt for Crossbones was wearing them all down, Eris supposed.

"It's fine," Wanda said. "I didn't think you'd want anyone else rushing in, is all. And I doubted waking up to Steve would have ended any better."

Eris arched a brow. "Spangles?"