27.| COLD AND DISCONNECTED

FOUR DAYS PASSED.

Was it possible to go deaf in pure silence?

Because in four days, the silence was all that Eris knew. External silence, sitting surrounded by darkness, hands cuffed and chained to the wall. She didn't move, didn't blink. Externally, she was silent.

Internally, she was drowning.

Someone was screaming. Gunshots ripped through her mind. Screams, faces, tears, and pools of blood, all floated before her eyes.

Externally, she only gazed blankly ahead.

Eris didn't know where she'd been taken. She didn't remember much of the past few days. Only that something in Lagos had happened. Something that'd made Sinthea angry enough to kill three of the men in the base. 

She'd caught the name Rumlow— and remembered the quickest flash of an arrogant sneer. But then it was gone and she was sent away.

Away into the darkness.

There was a faint voice, now. Something in German, drawing her out of her mind and back to reality. The door to her cell opened up and white light flooded in, utterly blinding for a moment. Eris blinked hard, raising her chained hands in front of her face.

Sinthea walked in, a smirk dancing on her lips.

It was different from the last time Eris had seen her. Screaming, cursing, and killing in a blind fit of rage.

It was different.

"Why, good morning, big sis. How's my favorite soldat?"

Eris gazed on in silence. Sinthea's smirk broadened. "Lovely to hear."

Someone else stepped in at the woman's back. Someone Eris didn't recognize, with short-cut black hair and dark, beady eyes. He frowned, taking her in.

"This is her?"

"Her training is more impressive than her looks."

"And she really is...?"

"Could be better if we had the tech. But all the machines were destroyed when the SHIELD bastards raided our base. Her mind's mush enough, though. Don't fret."

"And the other one?"

"Now, now. That's your problem, Zemo. My dear Rumlow is gone, now. So either you prove your worth to stick around, or I take matters into my own hands."

The man straightened. "I have worth."

"You have a bloodlust. Revenge. Just like Rummy. See where it got him?"

"I have a plan. He didn't."

Sinthea's green eyes flickered in mild amusement. "You do, don't you. An ambitious one." Reaching forward, she traced her fingers down the man's cheek. His face hardened. "I like the ambitious ones."