9.| PUT ON YOUR WAR PAINT

ERIS CRADLED A CUP OF COFFEE, studying the papers before her. The heat was scorching, turning her palms an angry color of red.

But it kept her grounded.

She kept staring at her face. Eyes closed, skin blue. And the letters below the photograph. Project: Pandora's Box. Her stomach roiled and she felt sick. But at the same time, Eris wanted to scream.

Some of the pages had been taken out— that much was obvious. Crossbones hadn't left her enough to understand.

That was on purpose and she knew that. It was no mistake that the folder had been left; a past that she couldn't remember documented in ink. He'd done this to blindside her. To take her off guard.

He'd succeeded.

Eris was tempted to hurl her cup of coffee across the room.

But she only sat in silence, staring at the photograph, staring at the words. Then she gazed toward the other page attached.

Name: Eris Schmidt

Age: 21

Occupation: Asset

Features: Brown (hair), green (eyes)

Powers: Umbrakinesis, shadow-bending

Family: Deceased

Unit: HYDRA Elimination/ Cryostasis

Frustration welled in her throat and Eris resisted the urge to tear the paper in half. Eight years ago. This was from eight years ago. She should remember— she should know what she was looking at.

But she didn't.

"Yo, Shadow-girl."

Jolting back to reality, Eris looked up. Sam came in through the kitchen door, eyes raising at the papers in front of her. Before he could get a look, she scooped them together and snapped the folder shut. His eyes raised even higher.

"Uh... everything good?"

"Fine."

"You look like you're about to kill somebody."

She shrugged. "It comes and goes."

A grin cracked across his face. "So if I sit here, I'm not gonna get punched?"

Eris stiffened but he didn't wait for an answer, plopping onto the chair across from her. The man was dressed in sweats and a t-shirt, looking like he'd just come from training. He smelled like it too. Gazing at the folder, he arched a brow.

"Homework?"

"Something like that."

"You know, I feel like you've been avoiding us since Vision showed you around. Not gonna lie, that hurts."