30.| I CAN'T FIND YOUR SILVER LINING

"YOU SEE A THREAT, YOU GET OUT OF HERE."

Eris raised a brow at the brown-haired man, crossing her arms. "I can handle myself, Bucky."

"It's not you I'm worried about."

She uncrossed her arms and gave him a colder glare, which flickered an apologetic look in the man's eyes. He offered a small smile.

"I didn't mean it like that, Pandora. But they can't take you down unless you've done something."

Eris flinched at the name. He winced too. "Sorry, habit."

"Trust me," she said. "I've done plenty."

Bucky lowered her gaze, seeming to recognize the muffled pain in her words. Pulling off his hat, he stepped forward and pulled it over her hair, giving her one last solemn look. "Keep an eye open. I'll be out in five minutes."

"I'll take a quick look around. Yeah?"

"Be careful."

She grinned slightly and turned away as he slipped into his apartment. For it being the middle of the day, the apartment floor was hauntingly empty. It was no true living space. The carpet was moldy, the windows cracked and covered in grime.

It was no home.

But she wondered what it would be like to live somewhere where she was free. Free, safe, and alone.

Eris paused as she heard a faint voice. The sound of static.

Gazing down the stairs toward the floors below, she froze as she caught sight of an army uniform. No, not just one. Dozens. Military men, footsteps thudding on the stairs as they raced up.

Eris backed up and turned back toward Bucky's apartment, trying the handle. But it was locked. Panic flamed under her skin and she called a whirlwind of darkness to her hand, throwing it against the door as hard as she could.

With a crack and thud, the door flew open. She raced inside.

"Bucky--"

Eris froze.

Another man stood in the room. One who went completely rigid as she entered, faltering back a step. One with blue eyes.

Spangles.

"W... Winky?"

It was Steve, his helmet pulled over his eyes, dressed in a dark navy uniform. He held his shield in one hand, eyes wide as he stared in shock. She retreated a step back.

"What are you doing here?"

But before he could answer, there was a faint shout. Then a series of gunshots, flying over her head only a second before Eris dropped to the floor.