16.| I SEARCH FOR YOUR DARKSIDE

PAIN FOLLOWED ERIS INTO the waking world.

Sitting straight up, her throat rasped and stung from her screams and she barely managed to cut them off. The only thing she could do was clap her hands to her head, doubling over and holding on as tight as she could. She felt like she could pass out again. Or be sick.

Maybe both.

Everything hurt. She saw red, black.

Memory after memory, thoughts, identity, freedom... they all vaporized. One by one, vanishing before she could grab onto them.

Eris heard the sound of a door opening and closing.

Someone rushed over.

But finally, she found that something she'd been missing. Power. Power that leaped out of her skin and threw the person against the wall. Tendrils of shadow wrapped around his neck and Eris was on her feet in a second, one hand lifted and ready to clench close.

To end the life of the man in front of her.

His blue eyes flickered and he gasped for breath.

"Winky—"

Eris froze.

The world around her came to a stop.

The shadows dissipated and the man dropped to the floor, one hand going to his throat. The door behind him flew open and slammed closed and two more people rushed inside.

Natasha and Sam.

Nat had a gun, barrel aimed at her head.

It was then that Eris realized she was in a cell of sorts. Glass walls surrounded her, the floor hard beneath her feet. She turned in a circle and realized she was being watched by those standing outside.

They were here. The Avengers.

They were all here.

The people who might have one called her friend.

Backing up, Eris lowered her hands and tried to gain control of the confusion and shock crashing over her. She couldn't think straight, but she kept seeing images of her vision. Soldiers, ballerinas, white walls, and Sinthea.

It was too much. Eris clenched her jaw tight, unable to find an inkling of control.

"What— what did you do to me?"

"Wanda didn't do anything," Natasha growled. "Except get a glimpse of who you really are."

"It's too much." Eris clutched her head and shook her head, retreating another step back. The floor beneath her spun. "I can't make them stop."

"Eris...?" Steve stepped forward. "Make what stop?" 

She looked up, stomach roiling, darkness racing through her blood, and shuddered. There were a million emotions on his face. She only understood the concern and caution.