23.| IN THE AIR TONIGHT

ERIS REALIZED QUICKLY ENOUGH that she was being given a wide berth.

It was only her, Wanda, Sam, and soon to be Steve at the compound. Vision and Rhodey were back at Stark Tower, trying to deal with Ross, who was doing everything he could to take advantage of the ATCU situation.

Eris's face continued to play on the TV. Now, the body totals were adding up. Those she'd taken down during her capture. Those who'd been taken out during their escape.

She knew well enough she was being given a wide berth.

Because she'd done it again.

She'd lost control.

Had it been the Avengers... would she have kept fighting? Something had taken over when Eris had found herself surrounded. Something cold and animalistic, willing to kill to remain free. 

Some deep, dark part that had shoved her aside and taken control of her body. Of her ability to fight and kill.

Pandora.

She'd named that side Pandora.

Eris feared her.

Once upon a time, she might have claimed that she didn't fear anything. It still would've been a lie. She'd always feared her father— not his actions, or his rage, or his powerlust. But being able to please him. She'd feared she wouldn't be enough.

Eris had feared her father.

After being put under cryofreeze, she'd feared the cold.

But she never thought she'd fear herself.

Sitting on the roof under the starless sky reminded her so much of before. When she'd still been a stranger to the compound and the Avengers. When she'd only been here with the plan to take their lives before they found out and took hers.

Eris had felt so confused looking down at the crashing water before. She'd felt so confused and lost, but at the same time, so determined and defiant. Because she'd had her mission.

She didn't feel much now.

Closing her eyes, Eris tried to become the darkness. Emotionless, weightless, silent, and without fear. She wrapped herself in shadow and found comfort in the way it cut off all other life. She'd always listened to the voices, basked in them.

She wondered sometimes if they were the voices of the death.

Perhaps the voices of those she'd killed.

When did you become Inhuman?

Eris didn't remember a time when she'd been without the darkness in her blood. Maybe it had always been there, just waiting to come out. Bits and pieces of memory that she could fit together took her to a past where she'd been unable to fight against her captors.