10.4 AIJA

**Warning: violence, blood**

The story so far:

---- Aija is a Volunteer at the Pristine School at Innermost. She works along with Zuri and Ze, who are her friends. Aija witnesses a strange event one night – light emanating from Rez's body. The kidnapper is after her soul, next, but he leaves her alive and goes away. Another man finds her, he wants to take her somewhere else - Aija though wary of him agrees. Aija learns of the existence of the aliens – the Ytai. Also, about the R'ies and H'eon, Harvesting and Àvo from Etrie. Etrie tells her that the man, who Harvested Rez (Thieron), will now go after her. He tells her that the spy/kidnapper's name is Luka. Etrie asks her to work along with him.

---- Aija is invited by Etrie for a Harvest Stopping Mission. Aija tells Zuri about Quinn – she's to meet him as an order from the Leadership. Kuna, who works for Etrie, picks Aija up for the mission. Etrie partners Aija with Kuna for the night.

---- Aija goes along with Kuna as he trails the target – a girl.

---- The Harvesters turn up for the girl's soul, it ensues in an attack in which the target's friend is hurt.

✽✽✽

****10.4 - Aija****

"Take this girl and run," Kuna told Aija.

"Where to?" Aija asked her eyes still on the blonde girl. There was so much blood.

A man shouted something at them, in a language Aija didn't understand. He came from behind a building running towards them. Two more joined the man behind him.

Kuna spoke to the black-haired girl, "Run to your house. My friends are there; they will help you. Go..." and to Aija he said, "Go with her. Hold the blade tightly. Run now. Call Etrie and tell him you're on the way."

Aija held the girl's hand, and the girl ran towards her house. Aija held the blade tighter and shouted into her AIVIO Scroll, "Call Etrie."

"Calling Etrie." It responded.

Etrie answered on the first ring. "Aija?"

"Etrie help!" she shouted, already breathless from running. "We're headed towards the girl's house. Kuna is alone."

"Run fast. I'm coming." Etrie's voice came through.

Aija remembered her self-defense classes during mandatory physical education. She had been good at it, but she had never really used them in real life. She had never needed it before, and now she had lost touch. She had never practiced after school, and she was very doubtful if she could defend herself now. She cursed out loud, and the girl looked at her. She shook her head, and they continued to run fast.

She should have been more physically active. Of course, she had never imagined she would be caught in a situation like this one day. It had been beyond her reality, and she hadn't imagined running from killer aliens. If only she had attended those extra training classes where one had to build stamina through running. If only. She had avoided them like one avoided the plague.

The girl took several turns running faster, and Aija had a hard time keeping up. Her backpack kept hitting against her back and light though it was, it felt cumbersome as she grew tired. Aija felt like her chest would burn from the air.

"I can't," Aija slowed.

"We're almost there!" the girl pleaded.

Aija felt faint; the cold breeze ruffling her stamina further. She fell to the ground, her legs giving way.