14.2 GOLDSTAR

The story so far:

---- Aija is a Volunteer at the Pristine School at Innermost. She works along with Zuri and Ze, who are her friends. Aija witnesses a strange event one night – light emanating from Rez's body. The kidnapper is after her soul, next, but he leaves her alive and goes away. Another man finds her, he wants to take her somewhere else - Aija though wary of him agrees. Aija learns of the existence of the aliens – the Ytai. Also, about the R'ies and H'eon, Harvesting and Àvo from Etrie. Etrie tells her that the man, who Harvested Rez (Thieron), will now go after her. He tells her that the spy/kidnapper's name is Luka. Etrie asks her to work along with him. Aija agrees to work along with Etrie on Harvest Stopping Missions.

---- Thieron and Nala check out a new target, and realize that Etrie's team was trailing the same target.

---- Aija's parents tell her that she has received the notice for engagement from The Leadership. She hates the idea of it, but there is no escape. Aija meets Quinn and likes him. Kuna confronts her about Quinn; he seems visibly upset about it.

---- Zuri goes to her place when Kuna is there and she tells him she knows all about them. Kuna is angry with Aija for telling about them to Zuri, who is now insisting that she too, joins them.

---- Goldstar preps for the Transfer to the South Land.

✽✽✽

****14.2 - Goldstar****

Goldstar reached the Open by seven-thirty in the evening. 

He slid his mask on before stepping out of the train; the Green Plague was rampant in the Open, and he had no desire to die of it. He reached the farm, which was a cover for the Gale squad at the Open. The three Transfers were already all set to leave, so he had a quick dinner.

A car had been arranged for their travel to Landing 5. There was no public transportation available beyond the Open. Goldstar led the Transfers out where the car was waiting for them. He handed the three Scientists their packed dinners he brought from Core and kept his in his backpack. They would need the food during their trip to the South Land. The night was rather chilly, and the three Scientists were shivering despite the thick Gale coats they were wearing. They obviously weren't used to the cold at Innermost, where the temperature was a constant regardless of weather and season.

The three Scientists settled in the back seat. Goldstar sat in the front next to the driver, who introduced himself as 'Daniel'.

"It's my first time meeting you," Goldstar told him.

"Yes, Sir." Daniel smiled. He looked like he was in his thirties.

"Please don't call me, 'Sir'" Goldstar requested. "I'm much younger than you."

"But, you're Goldstar, aren't you?"

"So?"

"I've heard all about you. Much respect."

Goldstar nodded. "Call me, Goldstar."

Daniel smiled. "Sure."

They set off to Landing 5, which was far from Pristine Four. Daniel set the car on auto mode and switched on the tiny signal disrupter fixed to the vehicle. Else it would automatically connect to the LINC, and the Secures would learn of their activities.

Goldstar drifted off to sleep and woke up around midnight. About an hour's journey was still left. He looked out of the car. The land was nearly barren with the occasional broken down buildings marking their presence, a reminder of a previous world. He had seen it countless times, but it never got old. No flora or fauna that could survive in the Open so far from any City. Most areas had high amounts of radiation still left from the Wars. Nothing survived, but the Creatures and Savages. They were the mutated animals and humans that roamed the deep Open scavenging for food.