Chapter Eleven

Friday, November 17th, 2018.
6:43am...

Aaliyah

I opened my front door and Chris was standing there.

I screamed because he startled me.

"Well, good morning to you too." He chuckled.

I held my chest. "Good morning, Chris. Damn." I was trying to calm myself down.

He chucked and stepped inside.

"I got you some breakfast." He held up the bag and coffee.

"Aww, thank you." I smiled and accepted what he was passing me.

Guilt came over me from my events with Aubree.

"I need to tell you something." I took a deep breath.

I feel like I just need to confess so we can figure out our next move but I've been the person on the receiving end of something like this and I hate that I've done this to someone else.

"I got you something.." he said.

I turned to face him and he pulled something out of his jacket.

It was a velvet box.

"What is it?" I asked, placing the food and drink on the counter and taking a few steps back towards him.

"Something just to remind you of me even when we're apart. Turn around." I did as he said and he slipped a necklace on me.

I looked in the nearest mirror and it was a necklace with a "C" pendant on it.

"This is beautiful." I said.

"It's just something small." He shrugged. "Now what did you want to tell me?" He pulled me to him.

"Oh yeah.. Um.." I tried to think of something else. "I-I--"

"Are you alright, babe?" He sort of chuckled.

"Yeah, I'm fine, it's just--" I sighed.

"Aaliyah, what's wrong?" He wrapped his arms around me while I nervously fiddled with the necklace.

"I think I'm ready for... more?" I lied.

"More as in... Meeting families?" He asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Un, more as in, doing something besides working." I switched the lie which made it the truth.

I am ready to pick up my heels and dance all my frustrations away.

"Aaliyah." He sighed. "Babe, you remember when you were young and you played with barbie dolls?" He asked.

I scrunched up my face and looked up at him, slowly pulling away until we weren't touching.

"What?"

"I'm saying." He stopped as if he was gathering his thoughts. "At some point, you put childish things away and you do what pays the bills." He stuffed his hands in his pockets.

"Did you just refer to my dancing as "childish things"?" I asked, completely in disbelief.

"I'm saying, stick to what pays the bills."

"Switch the subject." I mugged him.

My dancing was never a joke and if I wouldn't have stopped dancing it would be what paid the bills but some people will never understand that.

"On another note, do you want to meet my family?" He carelessly switched subjects.

I ran my fingers through my hair. "Don't you think it's time?"