TWELVE: A Child's Heart

Becky POV :

I have been ghosted by a stranger. 

I was on my way back from the gym. I didn't know how much I needed it until I felt my sore and achy muscles stretching, happily dissipating the stress that has been inhibiting me the past few days. Followed by a hot shower, and a complete meal, I was doing anything in my capacity to appease my heart and soothe my mind from thinking how I have been such a disgrace to myself the past few days. 

She ghosted me! 

ME!!! 

I take a deep inhale and I step into the schoolyard. I don't care to look at the security guards as I was still immersed in my phone. A part of me was still anticipating her reply. Maybe she was just shy? I chuckle. Yeah, that must be it, especially when I was being nice. 

Suddenly, I'm stopped by one of the school administrators who gives me a suggestive look before he leads the way to the director's office. I visited this place at least twice a month, and somehow, every time I did they thought that they could 'negotiate" with me. I scoff, delusional idiots. When I fall into the comfortable canape with a loud PUFF, I raise an eyebrow when I don't see the familiar old man, our beloved school director. In his seat, a woman who didn't seem older than 30 was eyeing me with a smirk on her face. 

We watch each other for a good moment. When I sneer at her. 

She doesn't flinch. 

-"Welcome back Miss Jones" 

-" What is going on? " I ask in my Becky Jones tone. Unfazed. 

She clears her throat and scoots closer to her desk. 

-" I introduce myself. I'm the new director of this school, Sasha. Your dad, Mr. Jones, has assigned this post to me after I have worked for-"

I couldn't care less who she was. I just wanted to go to my class, and I needed to get out of here. Besides, this room was ridiculously confined and somber. Perfect to scare away students, but only enough to make me uneasy; I didn't like any of this. 

I didn't want any of this.   

I put a hand on my chest, repressing a wince that was threatening to show on my face. 

'She couldn't see my pain' 

-" Good. Can we open the windows around here? "

'She didn't want to'

With a complying smile, she makes a gesture to the big guy who has been standing at the door like one of those infamous tough bodyguards.  

'Becky Jones, ' my stomach makes a summersault at the voice. 

I crack a smile, but it feels bitter, sad. "So what is up Sasha ?" 

Hers vanishes, replaced by a frown, hard and spiteful. 

-" It is Miss Sasha to you." Her tone firm, apathetic.

I manage a small laugh that resonates in the room; which, despite the light entering from the window, was still as cold and lifeless as a graveyard. 

'They didn't fear you;' 

She clears her throat. " Your dad has assigned him" 

He had sunglasses on his face, in a dark room. There was no doubt in how serious he was about this job. It was almost impressive. 

Almost. 

I scrutinize my eyes back at the woman, who was still talking. I bet she was enjoying this. 

She was. 

-" His job is to make sure you attend your classes and take your quizzes while he is away. " She adds, with a waged eyebrow, and a stare that only inferred troubles.  " and I will be delighted to do the same in my own way ".

You tell me. 

-" You own way? " my voice was shaky. Her smile accentuated. 

-" Nothing to be worried about. Unless you think that treating you equally as everyone else here is a problem, but I will assume you will be on your best behavior. Of course, I'd appreciate your cooperation"

The audacity. 

I sit there dumbfounded, and I take another glimpse at the bodyguard, who didn't seem like what I thought of this mattered to him. I wonder how I ended up here, and I wish, for once, I was born into an ordinary family. Then, maybe " equally "  wouldn't sound like a death sentence to me.

'They didn't care '

__________________

Re-Edited: April 2021