Chapter Seven

Castiel sighed as he opened the door to his immaculate apartment. He dropped his keys into the bowl on the coffee table, and rubbed his eyes, spotting his cat Lucifer curled up on the far end of the sofa. He yawned and checked the clock hanging by the mantle. 11:45. He really regretted living so far away. He set his satchel on the opposite side if the sofa and yawned once more.

Wandering into the kitchen, he began to fix a mug of tea. (Not having to work again until 9am, he would have time to catch up on sleep.) He blinked and pulled open the door to his refrigerator, looking for the honey. He thought it had been placed on the top shelf, like all the other sweet products. (Okay, maybe he had a slight OCD problem. So what, sue him.) He furrowed his brows and dug around for the honey. Where the hell was it? And perhaps even more concerning, why was it bothering Castiel so much? His eyes skimmed the 'fridge, before falling on the bottom shelf. He grabbed the bottle of natiral honey by the neck.

He closed the door and rested his head against the cool stainless steel, clutching the honey tight. God, what was the matter with him? He squeezed his eyes shut tight. The ringing of the timer he had set startled him and he turned around silencing another yawn. He squeezed honey into the piping hot mug.

After securing the honey in the refrigerator - on the sweets shelf this time (he triple checked) - and grabbed his cup taking it into the living area. He plopped down on the faux leather sofa Anna had gotten him. He sighed taking a drink of his caffeinated happiness. Cas made a note to thank Balthazar for introducing him to this magical beverage, as he picked up his satchel. Lucifer climbed along the couch cushions, curling himself against Castiel.

Cas reached the newest file folder and pulled it out slowly. Arming himself with another gulp of steaming tea, he flipped open the file with 'John Doe' marked on it in Tessa's neat handwriting.

"John Doe entered the hospital at 8:09, the morning of January 17th. He was brought in from a car accident east of highway 44. Police got a call from an anonymous male. The remaining pieces of the vehicle were lodged in a snowbank along the road. Paramedics confirm that he was unconscious until the turn on the corner of Oak Street, there he began thrashing and screaming. Surgeon Jody Mills operated - low levels of hypothermia, slight internal bleeding, brain trauma, two broken ribs, strained collarbone. Blood work - type O - came back with high levels of alcohol. Patient was not considered incapacitated at the time of the accident that was estimated at roughly 6:55 am January 17th." Castiel read the file aloud to the mostly empty apartment.

"Whoa," he muttered as Lucifer purred his answer. "Thats... a lot." His eyes skimmed the pages. At the bottom of the attatched paperwork titled, "Brain Trauma," sat a small signature reading, 'Charlene Bradbury.' She was a really wonderful doctor that practiced neurological disorders. If the head trauma was really extensive (and it certainly appeared that way) shouldn't she be taking care of John Doe? Cas stuck the all the papers back in the file and put the file in his satchel. He looked into the mug of tea. And sighed before gulping it down. He pushed Lucifer away from him slightly and stood up setting the mug down on the coffee table.

Castiel stretched and scooped the little blonde kitten into his arms. He flicked lights off as he went down the hall to his bedroom carrying Lucifer. He crawled into his bed and - waiting until Lucifer positioned himself against Cas - turned off his bedside lamp, cloaking the entire apartment in the deep black of midnight.