Chapter Nine

(Here it is you bloody vultures. The moment you've all been waiting for *dramatic drum roll played by yours truly* This is an incredibly short chapter, but I promise to make it up to you, dear reader. The next chapter will be incredibly long and incredibly amaze-balls. Just saying.)

Castiel read the file - in its entirety - twice over, his watch beeping at 1:15. Castiel had been checking his ever-increasing pulse every hour hoping to see the soft flutter of eyes, that hadn't occured since the surgery. His phone buzzed lazily in his pocket. He looked around the room seeing no one, of course, and dug it from his pocket.

"Where r u?" It was from Sam. Castiel hated texting lingo. Castiel checked the file where the room number John Doe was in had been scribbled down. Castiel sent him the room number promptly. "K. Be there soon." Sam fired back.

Ten minutes passed and Sam finally entered the room to find Castiel hunched over the man with a stethoscope pressed against his chest. Sam's breath caught in his throat. Dean. That... that was Dean on that bed. That hospital bed. He was so still. And there were scratches all over his face. Bruises dotting his jaw and hairline. And Castiel was doting on him. Why hadn't Cas said anything? Right then, vital information sang in Sam's ears. Castiel didn't know a thing about Dean. Not what he looked like, or who he was.

"Hello, Sam." Castiel said peeling gloves from his hands.

"Cas... Cas that's Dean." Sam said. Or he thought he said that. But no words came. Castiel's triumphant face fell.

"Sam? Is something wrong?" Cas looked over at the John Doe and then back up at Sam. "Are you worried about him?" Cas asked, and Sam - unable to make his voice work - just nodded. "His condition is improving." Castiel said, throwing the gloves in a disposal.

"I-- Cas... that's..." Sam muttered.

"Do you know this man?" Castiel asked, suddenly very intrigued. Sam thought he could get his vocal cords to act up, when the heart rate monitor kicked up faster and Castiel's face split into a grin.

"Cas! Do something! Whats happening!?" Sam almost shouted.

"Shh, shh, its okay, Sam. This is good." Castiel said happily. And the man's eyes fluttered open hastily before he started coughing and sputtering. And to think. Castiel would've missed this if Sam hadn't come. He was just a moment away from leaving when the first text from Sam came in.

Castiel rushed over to the man and raised the up. He placed his hands on the man's neck and lifted his head up slightly until he stopped choking on his ventilator. The man stared right into Castiel's eyes.

Green. The beautiful man had beautiful green eyes.