Chapter Eighteen

"Its not like I'm going to be around for much longer." Dean grumbled. Sam looked at him, blatantly angry.

"How much of an asshole are you? Really, I'm curious." Jo snapped.

Dean glared over at her. "Cas, come on, back me up on this." Dean pleaded, looking up at him for help. Castiel was just minding his own business, rechecking Dean's blood pressure. 

"I'm not sorry that I won't go get you alcohol." Sam sighed, seeming to notice that Cas was not going to reply.

"You should be. You just won't let me die in peace--" Dean started before he was interrupted.

"We aren't getting you any whiskey!" Jo and Sam exclaimed simultaneously. Castiel tried not to laugh at their synchronization, but he failed, letting loose a - totally manly - giggle.

Sam just collapsed in a pit of halfway hysterical laughter, and Jo just threw her hands in the air mumbling about them being two year olds. Dean's lips quirked up at the side as he looked up at Cas. "You think that's funny?" He asked. Castiel chewed the inside of his cheek and looked back down at Dean.

"Maybe." He replied after deciding that Jo and Sam were otherwise occupied. Dean rolled his eyes and pulled Cas down to him by the sleeve of his white coat.

Dean pecked him on the lips quietly and quickly, before allowing Castiel to stand back up and wash his hands. Dean stared at his ass as he scrubbed the soap onto his skin. Jo laughed and fell into one of the chairs by his bed. Sam did the same and dropped into the other chair. Cas gathered up the file, and left the room with a wave.

"You are so gay." Jo accused lightly. Dean turned slowly to look at her. She was smiling, obviously amused. Sam chuckled.   

"I'm not gay." Dean defended.

"Bull! I saw you staring at his ass as he walked off!" Jo pointed a finger at Dean.

Dean grimaced,  "So? Doesn't mean I'm gay."

"What's wrong with gay people?" Sam questioned, a cheek splitting grin climbing up to his lips.

"Nothing. I didn't even say anything!" Dean informed,  waving his hands around. 

"By the way, we both saw you kiss him." Jo chuckled, and she was soon accompanied by Sam.

Dean turned bright red. "I don't have to take this from you people."

"Yes you do, you're stuck with us." Sam answered, smiling a bit weaker than he had been.

"I have to get going, actually." Jo said sadly, standing up. "I picked up some shifts at the Roadhouse mom used to own. You know, the one she sold to Ash?"

"Ooh," Sam and Dean teased, laughing when she turned pink.

She left and Sam waited a minute before saying, "I like him better than Lisa."

Her name sat like a lump of rocks in his throat. Lisa. How was he going to tell Lisa?

"Can you tell her?" Dean blurted without any forethought.

"Jess took care of it already." Sam said with a dopey smile.

Dean smirked and yawned as he glanced at the clock. It was only 9:15, so why was he so tired. He brushed it off as the medication, and shrunk down on the bed. He pulled the starchy sheets over him and closed his eyes, falling asleep almost instantaneously.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Dean, hey... Dean," someone whispered. Dean grumbled something. "Be nice, Dean." There was no mistaking that throaty voice any longer. Dean blinked one eye open carefully, looking vigilantly for any possible signs of danger. However, he just saw Cas kneeling next to his bed.

"What?" Dean grumped.

"Dean, I brought you something." Cas murmured, running a hand through Dean's hair. Dean closed his eye again and yawned, before looking at Cas closely. Cas was smiling, and he wasn't wearing the usual things he wore when Dean saw him.

He was wearing a green shirt and red jacket and blue jeans. Dean smirked, "Nice clothes."

It may have just been the pale semi-dark lighting, but Dean swore he saw Castiel blush. "Uh, thanks. But really, I brought you something." Dean could tell that he was excited.

Cas retrieved a brown paper bag from another leather bag he had with him. Dean rubbed his eyes, "What is it, Cas?"

"You said Fireball Whiskey, right?" He asked, Dean's eyes grew large with realization.

"Dude really!?"

"Shh, I could get fired for giving you alcohol while on medication."

Dean mimicked a zipping motion over his lips. Cas smiled, and pulled a shot glass from the leather bag. He poured a shot of the whiskey into the glass, and waited until Dean sat up to give it to him. Dean took the shot and scrunched up his face.

"You're awesome. Never change." Dean said, placing a hand on Castiel's shoulder.

A small smile graced his lips and he looked up at Dean who was running his thumb in circles along Cas's jaw line. "I really don't want to leave now that I've found someone who is this cool." Dean confided softly. Cas leaned up to connect their lips, and Dean gave a contented sigh as Castiel became pliant under his touch.

"I don't want you to leave either." Cas murmured softly once Dean had fallen asleep again. He recapped the bottle and took the shot glass and put both items back into the paper bag and then his satchel. He stood up, pulled the blankets up higher on Dean and hustled timidly from the room.

"Because I might be in love with you," Was what he didn't say.