nine

"are you sure you don't want to wake him up?" minhyung asked as one of the armies gave his last touch on fixing the crown prince's armor.

jeno checked the group for the final time, making sure everything was complete. "let him sleep. he must still be tired from the wedding day."

minhyung just shrugged his shoulders and mounted the horse that was prepared for him. he took a look at jeno for a second then avoided his eyes when the latter turned his head toward him as if he knew minhyung was going to say something. minhyung was indeed, but he held himself back and met the pair that was still waiting for at least a word. he shook away the thought and smiled at jeno. "let's go."

jeno nodded once and urged the horse to move, following the one in front of him.

the heat in the room doubled when the sun was up in the clear blue sky. it caused donghyuck to stir in the bed, feeling sticky due to the sweat that covered his body. with his eyes still closed, he kicked away the cover from him and sighed in relief as he felt a bit cooler. however, he remembered something that made him sat up, looking beside him which was an empty space.

fuck, i overslept! donghyuck left the bed quickly, ignoring the fact that he was still in his sleeping wear. he reached the front door, twisting it open and let his eyes wandered the front yard.

a servant went past by him, and before he could walk any further, donghyuck snatched his arm, halting his feet. "where's the crown prince? a-and general lee?"

"they've already left at dawn, your highness," he replied, bowing and walked away from the blank-faced male as his grip loosened.

of course, donghyuck sighed and went back inside. "couldn't they wake me up?!" donghyuck grumbled angrily, throwing his body to the mattress.

donghyuck stared into nothing before he once again got up from his laying position. he decided to visit his father's quarter later and spend his time there while waiting for the two males to come back. moreover, he missed sharing a story and talking to jaemin.

donghyuck quickly took a bath then dressed. the new clothes that were given to him had different textures than the ones he always used before he was married to one of the royal families. they screamed expensiveness and donghyuck felt a bit awkward wearing them. not that he found it uncomfortable but, he just thought that it didn't suit him well.

after he had done wrapping himself in the high-quality clothes, he walked out of the house and wasted no minutes to go straight to the ones he longed for. as soon as he stepped inside the quarter's courtyard, he was greeted by the sight of jaemin padding on the porch.

"jaemin!" donghyuck shouted and grinned widely when the latter noticed him.

jaemin ran toward donghyuck with happy giggles, bowing when he stood in front of him. "i didn't expect you to visit today, your highness!"

"i miss you!" donghyuck pulled him into a hug as jaemin did the same.

 they pulled away shortly after and jaemin looked behind donghyuck, his brows furrowed in confusion. "so you didn't come with the crown prince?"

"no. he went somewhere with jeno earlier," donghyuck huffed, still couldn't get over the fact that they left before telling him.

"protecting the nation?" jaemin asked, copying donghyuck's words that he always used when jeno wasn't around.