Chapter Twenty-Four: Anger

As Austin drove home he noted the many police cars that whizzed past him down the street in the same direction as him. Followed by a fire engine and Ambulance. He sped up a bit pulling up to the house. It looked as if every cop car on Brooklyn was parked at his house. There was a fire engine blocking the road and an open ambulance. He quickly shut off his car running in, ignoring the cops trying to grab him. He busted into the house looking around, when his eyes landed in Lindsey he cried in relief. He ran over to her his arms enveloped her pulling her into him. Her hands grabbed at his shirt, her sobs picking up.
"Baby tell me what happened."

Lindsey looks up at his face, whispering, " your father .." she didn't even get to finish before the anger boiled up in him. The usual detective that handled most of Austin's cases gave him a warning look. Right when Austin was about to ask where his father was, he caught the EMTs carrying him down the stairs. An almost growl like sound left Austin's lips and he neared his old man, completely grabbing him from where he lied, dropping him to the floor.

"You son of a bitch, you lay a fucking finger on her?" The older man didn't reply simply groaning in pain.  Gripping a shoulder that had been bandaged. Austin ripped all the gauze away shoving his thumb in it, watching the man howl in pain. " I asked you a question."

"the bitch shot me." He sneered through his teeth.

"Wasn't my fucking question." Austin's anger far past the boiling point, he then dug his finger into his father's collarbone creating a tension then hitting it. The crack of bone echoed through the quiet home. "Now tell me, did you touch her,"

His father still hadn't replied, crying in pain. Austin then went to do the same to his right collarbone. A hand on his shoulders stopping him. He looked at Lindsey's wide doe brown eyes his anger entirely diminishing. He got up from the floor and pulling Lindsey too him. "I'm so sorry, Lindsey. This shouldn't have happened, ever."

"Austin it's okay, is there anywhere else we can go? I don't want to b here anymore."

Austin looked up the detective, nodding towards the door nonverbally asking if they could go. The man shook his head motioning him to follow. He and gently pulled Lindsey along, following the man into the front yard.

"Hey Mrs. Jinger, We need your statement. Do you want to press charges? What happened?"

Austin looked at Lindsey who's chin began to tremble as fresh tears began to flow. "Mattie, look can we stop by tomorrow for her to give her statement? For now yes we're planning to press charges ."

The detective nodded wishing them a goodnight and scheduled for them to meet again the next day around lunch at Austin's grandparents. Austin helped Lindsey to his car. When they were both situated in the car, Austin began the drive to his father's old gym. The building had an apartment on the floor above the gym. As he pulled into a empty parking spot and placed the car in park. His hands tightly gripped the steering wheel. "Did he touch you, Lindsey?"

Her lips trembled as she tried to formulate a coherent answer. She blinked back tears, twisting her fingers as tripped around her words. "I'm sorry," she sobbed.

Austin shouted "fuck!" Hitting the steering wheel. Austin felt hot, he hit the steering wheel again, and again. He could feel the cold tears streaming down his face, there his father was again. Fucking up his life, hurting the women he loved. He let out the scream he'd be holding in. He pushed out the car slamming the door behind him. As he walked around the front, he slammed a fist down onto the hood of his car. He tried to compose himself a bit before opening Lindsey's door for her, helping her out.  She held her breath as she grasped Austin's hand. He was obviously furious, and even though she knew it wasn't at her she couldn't help but feel as if he might hurt her in some way.

His grip on her hand was gentle as he lead her to the apartment. He kissed her forehead gently pushing her into the cozy living area, mumbling about going out and being back late, finishing with a "don't wait up".

Austin stood on the bridge, a cigarette between his lips. His face was stained with tears, his eyes raw and red. He took a long drag flicking the butt of the cig into the heavy flowing river below. Without a thought he pulled out his phone going through his contacts. Landing on Brooklyn's, he proceeded to press call. It rung for a bit before she answered. "Hello."

"Are you busy?" Austin asked, he listened to her whole speech about how you can't just fuck with someone and then suddenly up and leave, no call, no text. All Austin replied was "look we gonna smash or not?"