chapter 5

Chapter 5

I couldn't begin to describe the atmosphere of a game night. It was my favorite thing and just thinking about playing had me pumped.

Adrenaline was already coursing through me, but along with that were a lot of nerves. It was the first game of the season against a rival college and would set the precedent for the rest of the year.

I stood in the locker rooms with the team sitting around, relaxing before things really got started.

This was the point where the captain would give a pep talk, and for the first time ever,Lucas was in the room with us. He stood to the side, not speaking, not doing anything.

I knew he wasn't captain material. He could barely even talk to the team. This was what pissed me off the most. He had captaincy but he wouldn't do anything with it. He wouldn't psych the team up. He wouldn't encourage them to play their best. He couldn't throw around orders. No one would listen and he wouldn't even try.

"Okay, this is the first game of the season and we're gonna start off strong. We can't start the season losing. That's just not an option tonight. We, or at least most of us..." I glanced at Lucas, "Worked our asses off last year and just missed out on going to the finals. That's not gonna happen again. I won't allow it. Now, we're going to go out there and we're going to kick ass like we usually do."

The guys clapped, cheered and hollered. The short speech was all it took to get everyone in the right frame of mind.

I looked over at Lucas who was still standing there quietly. I hadn't really calmed down since he got captain. I didn't talk to him at all. I didn't want to. I was so pissed off. "See, this is why you should be captain," Ethan said. "I don't think anyone could live up to your leadership," Ricky said. The two of them were laying it on thick today.

They were menaces but right now it worked in my favor. I wanted Lucas off the team.

I didn't want to constantly be watching my back while I'm playing. I didn't want to push myself to the limit every day just because I needed to match him. Mostly I was jealous that he was better than me. "Yeah, well, unfortunately the world isn't fair," I told them. Lucas, who had been watching me, pushed himself away from the wall and swiftly walked past the team, leaving the locker room.

Good.

He didn't have a reason to be in here. I was still so bitter.

I was having trouble containing it whenever I saw him. The second he was gone, Ethan was up, standing next to me. "Alright, listen, are we all still on the same page about how tonight's gonna go down?" he asked the team.

I looked at every single one of their faces. Most were on board. I could tell Eddie wasn't.

He didn't like conflict.

Then there was Erik who couldn't hurt a fly.

Casey looked indifferent, but he was a trouble maker. He would be up for this. "Remember, whatever you do, just keep the ball away from Lucas. Pretend he doesn't even exist," Ethan added on. The guys nodded.

I was one hundred per cent with Ethan on this one. For once we wanted to same things.

He was a new ally.

This was the plan, or at least the first thing we thought of.
We needed to isolate Lucas. I didn't want him, being the new captain, also getting all the attention tonight. There was a scout and I wanted him to notice me. I wanted my big break, even if it was kind of unrealistic to happen so soon. "We're gonna take this team back," I said definitively.