Chapter Six ✓

E PLURIBUS UNUM

JESS DIDN'T SLEEP MUCH AT ALL THAT NIGHT. Murray gave her some Advil and a shot of tequila even the shot of alcohol didn't work for nothing. Murray was kind enough to give the girl his old crutches the next morning when they all woken up.

Hopper cleaned her wound with hot soapy water and peroxide, it would have to wait for stitches until this whole thing is over. They just pray that it wouldn't open up again for a while.

With the crutches though it would hopefully help That situation. Jess sat on the couch with a blanket waiting for Hopper to get back with some food the next day. Joyce walked over to her with another Advil and a glass of water.

"Here, take this."

"Thank you." Jess took the Advil and chugged the glass of water. "Mhm. Thanks." Joyce nodded and sat next to her, Alexei watching cartoons keeping himself busy. "How does it feel?" Jess looked at her foot. "It's kinda numb now. Like- pins and needles numb. Is that bad?" "You'll be okay. Just keep cleaning it once in a while and when we get back to take you to the hospital." Jess nodded.

"It could've been worse," she glanced at the tv.

"I could have been actually dead."

"Here," Murray said, coming back with a shot of spiced rum.

"It'll help." "It's like... 12 o'clock in the afternoon.." the girl said. "And?" He raised an eyebrow. "Fine," she huffed, taking the shot glass from him and shooting the whole thing.

"Better?" Jess licked her lips.

"I'll be better once I eat something." Just as she said Hopper came back with Burger King.

"Two Whoppers, extra... ketchup," he said, flipping the packages of ketchup on the table.

Jess shook her head. Sure this guy was working with the Russians, but did he really have to be that mean?

"Large fry, pack of Marlboro Reds, and one extra-large slurpee. Burger King is no- where near the seven eleven by the way." Hopper looked at Murray, giving him a slight glare. "Never said it was." Murray shrugged.

"Here's yours. You need some food after being shot at," Hopper said. "Thanks," Jess smiled a little. After all they have been through, she can still manage to make out a smile. "Let's try this again, Joyce," Hopper said with a mouthful of food. "Alexei, the generators, what are they powering?" "And tell him that we know it is not the Starcourt Mall, so he can stop selling us that crap." Hopper butted in. Jess bit into her burger and her mouth instantly watered. She didn't know how hungry she was until she actually took a bite of the delicious food.

"Those generators you were working on, what are you powering? We know it's not the mall," Jess said also with a mouthful.

Alexei took a sip of his slurpee, and spat it out all over. "Dude!" Jess cried, as some sprayed on her blanket. "Really?" He said something in Russian.

"What did he say?" Hopper asked. "He said it's not strawberry." Murray said. "I'm sorry?" "His slurpee. He says it's strawberry." "So what?"

"Hop, he did ask for cherry," Joyce said calmly.

"I mean, well they didn't have cherry." Joyce gave him a look, not sure if he was telling the truth and got strawberry on purpose. And it doesn't matter, because it all tastes the damn sam, okay? It's sugar on ice. You tell him that."