throne of cries

It is the next day of school and the beginning of her Tuesday and Thursday classes, and Y/N is in a particularly good mood. Ever since Grayson walked her home last night (where Ethan surprisingly wasn't there yet) and invited her to a social gathering at his friend's house after the homecoming opening football game on Friday, her anxieties about starting a new school set in a drastically different lifestyle than hers were starting to drift away. Sure, her roommate is an obnoxious piece of shit, but his twin brother sure does make up for it.

History has become the only class where Ethan chooses not to sit beside her. Instead, he takes a seat farthest from her, not even sparing her a simple glance as another student walks in sits right next to her. The girl has burgundy dyed hair and tanned skin, and smiled brightly at Y/N as she pulled out her notebook from her Michael Kors bag.

"Hi, you must be Y/N, the newbie? We don't really get new students too often, so there's been many talks about you on campus - don't worry, nothing too terrible," the girl speaks reassuringly. "I'm Ariel."

Y/N shakes her hand, despite the off-putting message that her name has been spread among the academy. "Nice to meet you, Ariel... uh, what exactly are they saying about me? You know, scholarship student aside."

"Well, your acceptance into the school does play apart in the chattering, but the majority of the gossip spirals around the fact that you're Ethan Dolan's roommate," Ariel clarified, just as the teacher walks into the classroom. "You have an incredible flock of jealous girls who would die to be in your position."

How ironic, bundles of rich girls with well-known parents and more than one house and fancy sports cars would kill to be in Y/N's spot, a girl who could barely afford a bicycle, just for some boy. A boy with a scorching hot shitty personality, at that. If they consider him as charming, then she assumes that Ethan Dolan plays a facade of some sort, tricking those boy-crazy girls into thinking he's some sort of prince. She wonders if they act the same with Grayson.

"Those girls have nothing to worry about, because there's no way in hell I'd ever consider him a suitor of mine anytime soon," Y/N rolled her eyes, scrawling her pen across her notebook as she copied the notes on the whiteboard that Mrs. Wilkinson instructed the class to. "He's certainly not my type."

Ariel chuckled. "I figured. But Ethan Dolan doesn't date either, he's too focused on his studies and competing with his brother. Although, in his spare time he does like to torment girls' feelings by making them believe he's interested, then at the last minute his crushes their heart in a cruel mockery. It's his own special hobby, I guess."

Y/N's fists clenched at her side as she glances at the boy across the room, paying no mind to her as he scribbled away in his binder. She grumbled, "What an asshole."

"He has a nickname, you know. I'm not sure who started it but it's what we all whisper when he walks the hallways after breaking yet another heart," Ariel's voice now begins to low as the teacher rises from her desk to start the lesson. "We call him the Soulless Prince."

Y/N's eyes widened as she refers in her memory of calling him a prince moments ago, as well as his own twin brother referring to him as soulless. She tears her gaze from Ariel and looks at Ethan again, and as though he could feel her wandering eyes he looks up and makes eye contact with her. His face doesn't contort into a sour expression and his lips don't twist into a scowl as she had expected when he caught her staring. Instead, his face just remains emotionless as he stares back, his only acknowledgment of her incessant glancing brought on by the slight raise of his defined eyebrow. And Y/N couldn't help but wonder why God gave such a beautiful face to a horrible person; perhaps if his personality replicated his beauty, maybe she'd be able to develop some sort of attraction towards him. But it's impossible too with the reminder of his cruel remarks upon her background, something she doesn't think she'd ever forgive him for if he ever wanted to redeem himself.