Chapter 6

I never write about Sundays. So, I'm going to write about Sundays.

***

Chapter 6

I hate Sundays. Come to think of it, I hate a lot of things. But I really hate Sundays. Today is the day where they think we need more socialization with our fellow class mates, so they force us to participate in organized activity.
Have you ever heard of a group of teenagers willing to play Duck Duck Goose with other teenagers? From a delinquent boarding school? That's right, you haven't.

I hate Duck Duck Goose. When I was little, I broke my arm playing it. Believe it or not. I was running around the circle like I was supposed to when Bam!
Fucking Eddy Dingleburg ran head first into me, knocking me onto the ground. I landed in the strangest position, causing poor little 7 year old me to wear a cast for the first half of the school year.

So I'm really hoping that we're not playing Duck Duck Goose. Actually, considering the cool weather outside, I'm hoping we don't have any activities planned whatsoever. I generally try to stay away from them, as do the majority of the kids.

If it had been hot out, I still wouldn't have gone. Sweating and being hot isn't my thing. I prefer this kind of weather, but that doesn't mean I'm participating. No way in hell.

"Yes way in hell." Frankie scorns, pushing me towards the doors that lead outside. For such a little guy, he's pretty damn strong. Of course, he's so focused on shoving me out the door that he's pushing me into person after person. I don't want to be stared at (because trust me, there will be plenty of staring), so I shrug Frankie off and move towards the door in my own fashion.

"Frankie, do you actually enjoy these things?" I ask him as we make our way outside. I glance at the fence, spotting out the location of the door. It's like a Secret Garden thing. Before anyone notices me looking, I turn back towards Frankie.

Frankie shrugs. "No, not really. But I have to do what I have to do." He trudges onwards, joining the gathering kids, giving me no choice but to follow him. Sometimes I really do wonder about Frankie. He isn't just a happy face. Though I think he's trying to come off as just that, he isn't. It's a depressing thought really. There's more to Frankie than meets the eye, but none of us really know that. Whatever happened to get him stuck in a place like this must have been awful.

I can't tell which teacher is talking at the moment, but what I can tell is that they have a very booming gym teacher voice that is grating my nerves. It seems to be annoying everyone. Who wouldn't be annoyed by that?

I try to listen in, but my mind isn't really wanting to focus on activities. All it can register is that we're outside and that's where the door is. The door to semi-freedom. It's screaming at me to make a move and get out of here, even if it's only for a little while. I tap my feet impatiently, wanting desperately to just walk away and go through that door. But I need to wait for the right opportunity.

Annoying Gym Teacher makes a hooting noise (it's even worse than a whistle, which he does not have), signaling the beginning of whatever game we're expected to play. I have no idea what's going on, but Frankie latches onto my wrist and tugs me to the supposed opposite side of the small field.

"Were you even paying attention?" Frankie crosses his arms, giving me a look that resembles the look my mother gives me when I don't pay attention to her.

"No." I answer simply. Frankie rolls his eyes.

"We're playing Capture the Flag. You do know how to play Capture the Flag right?"

"Noooooo, of course I don't. It's certainly not a well known game."

Frankie flicks me on the arm. I flick him back.