Chapter 3

The boy turns to me. "Name's Newt." He says, sticking his hand out to me. I just stare at it. He laughs softly. "What, never shook anyone's hand before?"

I slowly reach out my hand and grab his-Newt's- hand. His hand is still warm. "Whoa," he says, staring at our hands.

"What?"

"Your hand's all clammy." I take my hand out of his and hug my knees again. I wipe my hands on my pants. "So..." He starts awkwardly.

"So... " I say.

"Why'd you run?" He asks softly.

I look up at him. "Why'd you call me Marina of the Sea earlier?"

He laughs again. His laugh is so cute. Wait-what?!? Did I just think that?

He slowly reaches over and grabs both my arms. I keep my knees up to my chest still, not fully trusting him.

"Just relax, Marina. I won't hurt you." Newt says softly. I look into his caramel eyes. I can tell he means it.

I slowly let my legs slide down, so that they're hanging over the edge of the branch.

"Man you've got long legs, Greenie." He says, looking at my legs.

"Greenie?" I ask him.

"It's what we call the newbie." He explains. "Unless you don't want to be called that...?"

"No," I say. "It's okay."

"Okay." Newt says, looking down at his hands in his lap. "I'm surprised you haven't klunked your pants yet. Most newbies have done it at least once in their first hour here."

I ignore his last statement and say "So what exactly is this place?"