Chapter 11

I stand up. "Why?"

"Just please come with me."

I let go of Newt's hand. "I'll come back as soon as I can, okay?" Newt just nods.

I follow John out of the Homestead. He leads me into the woods, back by the graveyard. I lean up against the wall. John puts his hands on the wall on either side of my head, leaning closer to me.

"So who do you choose?" He says quietly. It reminds me of how Newt talks to me.

"What?"

"Me or Newt. Who will it be?"

"John, you can't be serious. I haven't even been here a day. I'm not going to choose. I don't like you guys like that."

John suddenly grabs my face and pulls me to him. He smashes our faces together, his hand going up my back, under my shirt. I pull away, and smack him across the face. I run away, tears falling down my face. I run to the only place I know there's security: the Homestead.

I run up the stairs and stop outside Newt's room. I slowly open the door, peeking inside to see if he's awake. He is. I wipe the tears off my face, hoping I don't look like I was just crying, and walk in.

"Hey." He says. I know immediately that he knows something's wrong. He sits up. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." He doesn't need to worry about this.

"Marina. I can tell something's wrong. Please just tell me what it is? Where's John?" And with that I start crying again.

He gets up out of bed and walks over to me. He grabs my hand and leads me back to the bed. We sit down side-by-side. He doesn't say anything for a little bit.

"Marina," he says. He takes my chin and turns my head toward him. I can tell that my eyes are all blotchy and red from the tears. "Please tell me what happened."

Through the tears I manage to say, "John... He led me into the forest and... He kissed me... And then his hand went under my shirt.... And up my back... Then I slapped him... And ran here." Newt pulls me into a hug. I cry against his should, his strong arms around me.

"Hey," he says. "It's okay, okay?" I simply nod. "Let's get you some place we can get you cleaned up. Want to take a shower?" I nod again.

Newt leads me out of the Homestead to what I assume to be the bathroom. "Here's a shower you can use. I'll block the door so no one comes in." I wrap my arms around his neck.

"Thank you." I whisper in his ear.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

After I'm done showering, Newt leads me to his room. "You can sleep here for the night."

"Where're you going to sleep?"

"On the floor."

"No." I say.

"No?"

"I'm sleeping on the floor. You're the one who needs the bed, not me."

"Marina, please take the bed."

"I'll take the chair." I point to the chair in the corner of the room. "You take the bed." I walk over to the chair and sit down. I close my eyes, pretending to fall asleep.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

When I wake up, it's the early morning. Probably three or four. I see Newt sleeping in the bed. Or more like on the bed; he's not even under the covers. I get up and quietly walk over to the bed. I take a loose blanket and put it over Newt, so he stays warm.

I walk back over to my chair. "Marina." I walk back over to Newt.

"Mmm?"

"Lay down." He moves over in his bed.

"I'm not so sure..." I say. I've only known this guy for a day!

"Marina. Remember what I told you... I won't hurt you." I sit down on the bed. Then I lay so I'm facing Newt, but I stayed as far to the edge of the bed as possible. "Hi." He whispers.

"Hi." I whisper back. I grab his hand and intertwine our fingers.

Then sleep hits me.