Chapter 9

There he is. Newt. The boy with pretty eyes. There. On the ground. In a heep. 'Oh my god.' I think to myself.

A boy pushes me forward and I stumble towards Newt. I turn around and see John smiling. "No one can get him to wake up. Maybe you can."

I walk over to Newt and kneel next to him. I take his hand and place it in mine. I try not to cry; try to be tough in front of these boys. I stroke Newt's hair.

"Newt," I say, just barely s whisper. "Hey, Newt. It's Marina; Marina of the Sea. I really want you to wake up. Who else would talk to me? No one else is nice to me." John sits down next to me. "Well except John here. But we just met a minute ago. Anyway, Newt, please wake up." A single tear slips down my cheek. I quickly wipe it away. "Please, Newt, please. Remember our star. Now you have to be the star, not me." Then the tears start to flow down my cheeks. I can't control them anymore; they just keep coming. John puts his arm around me, pulling me to him. I bury my head in his shoulder and cry.

Then John tells the other Gladers to leave. I hear the footstep slowly walking away. John lifts my head up and wipes my tears off my cheeks with his thumb.

"Hey, Marina. It'll be okay. He'll wake up eventually."

"I hope so." John and I sit there, my head against his shoulder. He smells fresh and clean, like Newt.

Then Newt's eyes snap open and he's gasping for air. I leave John and crawl over to Newt. I grab his hand. He turns to me and says, "Marina."

"Oh my god. Newt... Are you okay?"

"Even better since you're here." He says, his eyes glowing in the dim fire light.

"Want me to help you stand up?" Newt nods. I help him into a sitting position and then help him stand, my arm around his shoulder, his arm around my waist.

Then Gally walks in.