Chapter 27

Marina's POV:

Minho comes crashing in right as I start to punch in the words.

First word: Float.

Newt comes crashing in next.

Second word: Catch.

More Gladers come crashing in, stumbling to get their balance.

Third word: Bleed.

Almost all the Gladers are here, they keep coming, one after the other. Thomas must be a good director.

Fourth word: Death.

Chuck walks up to me. He looks at the screen. I should've been more of a friend to him back in the Glade. But I couldn't. I had orders. I had to follow them. Maybe we'll be friends in the future. Who knows?

Fifth word: Stiff.

I think of the last word: Push.

I punch in P-U-S-H .

Nothing happens. Chuck looks at me. I look at him, smiling slightly.

"What's the matter?" He asks. "Why won't it work?"

"I don't know." I say.

I look around at the Gladers. They're all staring at me. Minho, Newt and Thomas walk over to me.

"Why isn't anything happening?" Minho asks.

"I don't know!" I say, frustrated. "You think I know everything? Well news flash: I don't. I'm as much as a part of their game as you are."

"Okay, okay." Minho says, holding up his hands in surrender.

"Maybe you should push that button."
Chuck says, pointing at a button under the keyboard.

"Brilliant!" Newt says.

I jab the button. I hear a door open at the bottom on a tunnel-slide thing.

I turn around and look at the Gladers. I see something move behind them. "Shit!" I scream. "Grievers!" I pull out my knife I have with me and stand up, holding it out in front of me. "Everyone down the tunnel, now!" Gladers rush forward and dive down the tunnel, some shouting on the way down.

That leaves me, Newt, Minho, Thomas and Chuck. "Chuck! Go! Now!" Chuck is hesitant, but he dives down the tunnel.

I tell Newt and Minho to go after Chuck and make sure everyone's okay. They're both hesitant, just as Chuck was, but they eventually go. Now it's just me and Thomas left. I turn to him, he's staring at me as the Griever creeps nearer.

"We've got to fend them off!" I shout at him.

"I know!" The Griever is inching closer and closer.

"Actually! No time!" I grab his arm and pull him down the tunnel with me.

We've arrived in some sort of huge underground chamber. In front of us are twenty or so darkly tinged windows. Behind each is a man or woman, all pale and thin: The Creators.