Chapter 23

I immediately stand up. Then I crouch on my knees to wake up Newt. I gently stroke his hair. "Newt!" I whisper-shout. "Newt!" His eyes slowly open.

"What?" He says.

"The Doors," I say. "They're not closed."

Newt snaps up, fully awake. He looks at the Doors.

"Bloody hell," he says under his breath. "Go get Minho or Thomas... Actually, get both of them."

"I'm not leaving you." I say.

"Please, Marina," he says. "This is serious. Just please go get them."

"Fine." I stand up and walk to the Homestead. I walk in and go to Minho's room. I don't even bother knocking, I just walk in. "MINHO!" I shout. He shoots up into a sitting position.

"Huh?" he looks at me, obviously confused.

"The Doors," I say. "They're not closing."

"They should've been closed hours ago," he says, getting out of bed. "And you just noticed now?"

"I was a bit busy." I say, remembering my perfect night with Newt.

"Too busy to notice that the Doors aren't closed?" Minho snaps, putting on a shirt.

"Yes," I say. "Actually I was too busy to busy to notice."

"Well then maybe you should've been more aware." Minho retorts.

"So I'm the only one who should've noticed that the Doors weren't closed?"

"You're the only one who slept outside."

"Excuse me, but what about Newt?" I say. "He was outside, too."

"Well then either one of you should've noticed the Doors weren't closing," Minho grabs me by the wrist and drags me to the door. "Come on." He mutters.

Newt's POV:

I see Minho dragging Marina by the wrist towards me. After our date last night, I thought Marina would look happy; instead she looks miserable. Her hair is everywhere and she looks like she hasn't slept in weeks. Her eyes meet mine and I force a small smile onto my face. She does the same.

When she reaches me, she yanks her arm out of Minho's grasp and greets me with a hug.

"I wish we could've had more time together last night." She whispers in my ear.

"Me too." I say quietly.

"You two want a room?" Minho says behind us. I turn around.

"Oh shut up!" Marina says.

"Well said," Minho says. "But we should probably get back to worrying about them shuck Doors."

'The Doors!' I think. 'I forgot about them!' I turn to Marina, grabbing her hand. She looks at me with those big blue eyes of hers. Her eyes start to fill with tears. "Hey," I say. "It's okay."

"I'm scared." She says. She buries her head in my chest.

I cup her chin my hand, forcing her to look up at me. "Why?"

"Because I don't want to loose you."

"You won't."

"I almost did." She says quickly.

"What?" I say. "What do you mean you almost did?"

"I- Newt," she says, avoiding my eyes. "Never mind."

"No," I say, taking a step away from her. "Not never mind. What-did-you-mean?"

"Uh, hey guys...?" Minho says. I forgot that shuck face was still here. I turn around. He points over my shoulder. "We might want to get out of here." I turn around.

A Griever is walking though the Doors, coming right at us. It's the ugliest thing I've ever seen. I've only seen them through the window by the Doors. I grab Marina's hand, pushing her behind me. I start to back up, pulling Marina along with me. I turn around, heading to the Homestead. I hear Marian gasp. I turn around.

There, at the entrance of the Doors, is Gally on the back of a Griever.