Chapter 30

Marina's POV:

Life has been tough. It sure as hell hasn't been easy. After Chuck died, I completely lost it. I haven't been the same since. Newt has tried to helped me many times, but I've pushed him away.

The Scorch was exhausting. I almost didn't make it numerous times. I thank Thomas for saving me.

Denver was also exhausting. Finding out Gally was still alive pained me. He killed Chuck. I couldn't stand being in the same room as him. So I went back to the Berg where Newt was. We usually stayed away from each other, but one day, he came up to me.

He sat down next to me. I was tying a rope in knots to try and calm my nerve. He gently took the rope out of my hands. I glared at him, pissed.

He set the rope down in between us.

He gently reached over and placed one hand on my knee. I looked at him, shocked at his sudden show of affection.

He looked at me, never looking away. His caramel brown eyes transported me back to the Maze. When we were one. Now we were two.

"What happened?" He asked gently.

I didn't answer.

"Marina," he said. "Come on."

I looked down, at his hand on my knee. I placed my hand gently on his. I intertwined our fingers. I then slowly met his eyes. I felt the tears start to fill my eyes.

One tear fell down my cheek. I didn't bother to wipe it away. Then they all came. Like a river was held up by a dam and the dam suddenly burst.

Newt placed his arm around me, pulling me to him. I rested my head on his shoulder.

After I was done crying, I pulled away from his grasp, standing up and excusing myself from the room. I walked to my "bedroom": it was just a cot in the corner of the Berg, hidden behind a sheet.

I laid down on the cot. The tears came again. I ended up falling asleep like that, curled up in a ball to keep myself warm.

When I woke up, Newt was gone.