Chapter 5

I run around the Glade for another hour or so. If I saw Newt, I turned around and ran the other way.

I make my way to the forest again, and start walking back to my tree when a bag goes over my head and someone clamps my mouth shut. I start kicking and try to throw punches at my captor. Then I hear the voice of my captor. He has a British accent. I settle down.

He drags me for about five minutes. Then he says, "Are you going to not scream and fight when I pull the bag off your head?"

I nod. The bag slowly comes off my head. Newt is staring at me.

"What do you want, piece of klunk?" I spit at him. 'When did I start using Glader terms?' I think to myself.

"Marina..." I see the hurt in his kind eyes.

"Just stop, Newt." I turn around to leave but he grabs my wrist and turns me back around.

"Please, Marina." He says, his caramel eyes gleaming. "Just listen to me."

"You have five minutes." I say, glaring at him.

"Listen..." He starts. "I'm really sorry." I yank my wrist out of his hand. His eyes gleam with hurt again. I place my hands behind my back so he can't grab my wrist again. I look down at my feet then back up at him, then back down to my feet.

"I just wanted to apologize for not answering your questions earlier." He says softly, looking at the ground then back up at me. "I'm not supposed to answer any questions Greenies have on the first day. And I know you've been avoiding me." I look up at this. "I saw you look at me a few times and then turn around and run the other way." Again, I see hurt in his pretty eyes. "And you missed dinner. But I saved you a sandwich. Frypan's favorite: bacon and cheese on wheat bread." He reaches behind his back and hands me a sandwich.