Chapter 10

"Well well. Would you look at the new couple in the Glade." Gally sneers.

"We're not a couple." I say. I glance at Newt; his expression unreadable.

"You totally are." Gally says, looking at Newt's arm around my waist.

"I'm helping him stand up, you piece of klunk."

"Well, look who's already using Glader slang. Listen, Newbie. I need to talk to you. Alone. Outside." He says, pointing to the door.

"No way." Newt says; his expression still unreadable.

"Protecting your girlfriend, are you?" Gally sneers. "Don't want me to do anything to her?"

"You won't be doing anything to her." I look over and see John standing at my other side.

"Well well. Looks like Newt's got some competition. So, who's it gonna be, Greenie? Johnny here or wimpy ol' Newt?"

I let go of Newt and charge at Gally. I try to wrap my fingers around his throat, trying to throw him out of the Homestead. I hear John helping Newt walk, following me. I punch Gally in the face, causing him to stumble. I push him to the ground. He looks up at me. His face is as white as a ghost.

"Listen here, slinthead. I'm not picking anyone to "go out with", so you should just shut your trap before you go there." He tries to stand up but I kick him in the groin.

He tries to stand up again, and this time I let him. I know he's not going to try anything with me.

He turns around and runs away.

I turn to John and Newt, and see that Newt is having a hard time standing, even with John helping.

"Let's get you upstairs and into bed." I say, taking Newt's other side. He wraps his arm around my waist again.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

We get Newt upstairs in the Homestead and into bed. I sit down in the chair next to his bed. John leaves, saying he has to get rest for the morning job. It's just me and Newt. Newt and I. He's breathing heavily, his eyes closed. I reach over and take his hand.

"Hey, Marina." He says, not opening his eyes.

"Hey." I say.

"What time is it?"

"I think it's around 11:30. Why?"

"Just wondering." He sighs. "You haven't even been here a day and I've got you in more trouble than you need." He opens his eyes and looks at me. Even in the dark, his eyes still shine.

"It's fine." I say, trying to reassure him. "It's not your fault Gally got mad you were hanging out with me. Am I really that bad?"

"Of course not. I think Gally might be jealous. He thinks that in his old life, he was the one to get all the girls."

I snort. "Yeah, right," I say sarcastically. "Not with that attitude he didn't. He needs to learn some manners." Newt laughs softly.

Just then John walks in.

"Marina, I need to talk to you. Now."