Chapter 20

Newt's POV:

I look at Marina. Her hand is covered in blood. She looks at me. Her piercing blue eyes dig into my soul. I feel them burning, but I don't look away. She takes a step towards me. I take a step back, my leg hurting because of my limp.

"Marina-" I say.

She cuts me off. "Don't you "Marina" me," she points her finger at me, blood dripping on the floor. "You did this to me. You were jealous about Thomas, and you couldn't retain yourself. So you just had to kiss me and that caused me to slice my hand."

"Marina," I say. "I really didn't meant to."

"Didn't mean to kiss me or make me slice my hand?"

"Both." I say quietly.

"Then why?" She asks.

"I don't know."

"You don't know?"

"That's what I said, isn't it?" I retort.

"I was just questioning what you said, that's all."

"Okay..."

"Okay? That's all you have to ask to me?" She folds her arms across her chest. "No apologize or anything?"

"I'm sor-"

"No, you're not. You're just saying that because I said something."

"No, I'm not." I say defensively.

"Yes, you are. You don't care about-"

"Yes I do," I step forward and take Marina's hands in mine, her left hand sticky with blood. "You have no idea about how much I care for you. Ever since you came up in that shuck box, I knew you were special. I felt a connection when we first touched." I remember when I first saw her. Her blue eyes were shinning bright like the ocean. That's why I called her Marina of the Sea. I remember when I helped her stand up. Electric shocks spread through my body when our hands touched. I knew right then she was the one. "Marina," I whisper. "You're the one." She looks up at me, her blue eyes glinting.

"Really?" She asks softly

"Really." I close the distance between us and kiss her softly. I feel her relax a bit. I place my hands lightly on her back. Marina runs her hands through my hair. I feel blood drip down my face from her hand, but I don't care. Chills travel through my body, making me shiver a bit. Marina pulls away.

"Are you cold?" She asks.

"No, just sorta shocked."

She takes a step back. "Shocked? What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing," I respond too quickly. "I mean, I was just shocked that you kissed me back. And... And... Chills... They, uh, kinda spread through my body."

Marina smiles. "That happens to me, too."

Marina's POV:

'Wait, what? I thought I like Thomas.' I think to myself.

Newt just stares at me. He looks at my hand: it's dripping blood onto the wood floor. He reaches his hand out and takes my cut hand in his.

"We should probably get this wrapped up." He says. "I'll go get the Med-jacks." He lets go of my hand and walks out of the room, his limp very noticeable. I walk out of the room, following Newt. When I finally catch up to him, he's talking to a boy I don't recognize.

"Her hand is cut up pretty badly. Can I just have some wrap to wrap it up real quick?"

"My hand is not cut up that badly." I say.