Chapter 4: Sign of the Times

"Don't try to make me stay or ask if I'm okay"

My little bundle of joy. Mariangeli Gloriana de La Rosa. She's 5 years old but don't be fooled by the cuteness. She's a bit more advanced for her age, a bit more mature than you'd expect. She just came back from Anne's so now she's going on and on about her weekend while we make our way through the building.

"And then she almost tripped over the cat and fell. You should've seen it." she chuckles to herself.

"Ah what are we going to do with that girl," I said and she starts laughing. My smile broadens just seeing her so happy.

"Is that who I think it is? Couldn't be because I remember that a certain someone was suppose to bring me back cookies?" Linda teased her as we got back to the desk.

"How could I make cookies and not bring any for you, Aunty Linda. ¡Eso está mal!" she exclaimed.

She pulled out the bag of cookies from her bag and took my chair and sat on it. 

Rude! She took my chair!

She and Linda sat next to each other eating, no, devouring the cookies while I watched on in amusement. I looked at my watch and saw that I had about an hour of work left before I could leave.

"Mari, how about you stay with Papá for a little while I finish up here?"I asked and her eyes lit up.

"Yes please!"she exclaimed enthusiastically and ran past me towards the brown office door. Linda and I laughed as she struggled to reach the door handle. Then I remembered, "Are they gone?" I started to cold sweat while waiting for her answer.

" Yup! Left about 15 minutes ago" Oh thank God!

"I owe you" I said and walked towards Mari's direction.

"Big time!" she called behind me. Before the door is fully opened, Mari runs through and jumps on to Simon. I smile at their exchange and signal to Simon that I'll be by my desk. He waves me off and turns his attention back to Mari.

When I got back to the desk, I turned on the computer and started typing out the minutes from the meeting. As I'm typing, I start to think Maybe leaving Mari with Simon was a bad decision. Never leave those two together. It always turns into chaos.

I swear, Mari is the only person who can bring out the kid in Simon. 

And leaving two kids by themselves is a recipe for disaster. I'm broken from my thoughts with the clearing of a throat. Without looking up and my fingers still typing away at the keyboard, I say "¡Hola buenas tardes! Welcome to Syco. How can I help you?" 

"Ummm...I was sent to collect the tour schedule?" a deep British accent asked sounding a bit unsure. Something about this voice seemed oddly familiar but what was even more odd was what he asked.

Tour schedule?

"Tour schedule?" I asked confused. That's when I finally look up and I'm greeted with the tall, long curly haired boy with the green eyes trying to avoid eye contact. 

He looks nervous. 

If I wasn't so angry at him, I'd make fun of how cute he looked.