Chapter 25: She's So Gone

Harry's POV

I watched as she walked away and had every intention of going after her but was immediately stopped by someone grabbing onto my arm.

"Don't. She'll come around. Just give her some space,"I turn to see Lily smiling softly at me.

I sat back down at the booth and ran my hands through my hair in frustration.

"Fucking hell."

"That was kind of messed up," Lily stated.

"Yeah mate,"I glanced at Zayn.

I groaned,"You heard that?"

They shrugged.

"Kind of hard not to"

I tug at my hair in frustration.

"I didn't mean it like that. I just-urgh!"

I look up when I notice the waiter approaching our booth, pizza in hand.

"Bloody hell, what happened?!" he says exasperatedly.

I hear Lily blow out a sigh,"Where is she?"

Am I missing something? Do they know each other?

"Back in the kitchen,"he points over his shoulder,"stabbing away at the salad so hard I feel sorry for it," he pauses then says more quietly,"she's writing..."

What is going on?

Lily's eyebrows shoot up in surprise,"Now?" the waiter nods,"What time does she go on?"

He checks the watch on his hand,"in about 30."

I'm so engrossed in their conversation that I don't realise when he places the pizza on the table or when Liam and Niall start stuffing their faces.

I feel like there is something going on, something big, that I just don't know about. I find that I don't know a lot of things these days but I have this feeling in my gut that I should know.

I realise that I miss the last part of the conversation as the waiter walks away.

Zayn and I exchange confused glances.

"You messed up," I turn to face Lily at the sound of her voice with a deadpanned expression.

Don't I know this already?

"I'm quite aware thanks. I just....so many things have been happening lately and I..." I pause not knowing how to explain myself.

"My Mia never liked salad. Frankly she despised it. Anything without meat was a no. And now....now she eats it because she wants to?" I concede but it comes out like a question.

She smiles sympathetically and says,"I think we can both agree that the Mia you knew is slighty, just slightly modified."

I frown at her words knowing that she's right and I just didn't want to believe it.

I thought that once I was able to find her again then things would go back to normal. How they were before. Mia and Harry. Harry and Mia.

The Chronicles of Harold and Squeaky..

But change is inevitable. It happens. It's been four years...

But jeez I didn't expect it to change that much. There are times when we're together that just amazes me how easily we could fall back onto the playful banter and teasing and messing around that makes me think,

'Wow I basically grew up with this girl. I know her inside out just like she knows me and it's like nothing's changed'

But then there are moments like these when I feel like I don't know her at all. Like she's a mystery to me.