Chapter 4

You know you need to go back into the maze soon.

"We better go get some shut eye." Says alby.

Everyone except you and gally head back to go to bed.

"What's with you, gally?"

"What?" He answers with a slightly angry tone.

"You've been staring at me ever since I got here."

"Well I'm sorry if I'm not prancing around singing about happiness. If you haven't noticed, I don't think I'll ever get out of here. At least safely."

"Haven't you noticed! Things are changing! We have hope!"

"Yes. Everything started charging ever since Thomas got here. And you."

"What am I supossed to do! Grow wings and fly over the maze?!"

"You don't deserve to get out safely! Your going to risk everyone else's lives!"

"Well exuse me if I want to get out of here with everyone else!"

You get so angry, you could punch gally. Instead you storm away angry without saying anything.

When you settle into your sleeping arrangement, you can see gally sitting on the opposite side of the room. He came in a moment after you did. He is staring at the wall and looks sad. You'll reason with him tomorrow.

You go outside to get some fresh air. Its so quiet you can hear a pin drop. You accidently step on a twig and hear a CRACK. Don't make any unnessasary noises, you scold yourself. 

  You head over to the fire pit to clear your head. But, you notice that there's still a tiny auburn colored flame left. As you rush to get some water, a strong wind blows and ignites the flame, making it stronger and slowly transforming into a bonfire. Oh no!!

The giant bright light blinded you because your eyes were adjusting to the dark. The blazing fire roars and runs towards you. You scream,"help! Somebody HELP!" Some gladers come out and look worried. They immediently dash to get water and pour a river of it onto the fire. Gally darts over to you and shoves you out of the way. The fire runs past the spot you just were. If it werent for Gally, you would have been engulfed by the flames, and dissapeared with the night sky. You grasp the only water bucket in sight and pour it on the last remaining flame, as you see all those boys running around yelling. All you see know is burnt ground, tiny flames, and the remaining huts around the glade. At least they would be rebulidable.

  Newt rushes to help you up. "Thank you so much for warning us. Thanks to the slinthead who forgot to check the fire, we could've been toast. But you saved us!"

"Thank you, but if anybody saved anybody, you all and especially gally saved me." Chuck smiles. Gally looks down and blushes, hiding his adorable smile. You all put the rest out and get back to sleep. Gally is wide awake. He has a large cut on his knee, apple red with dirt and slightly burned. You pick up a wet cloth and walk over to him. You sit and say "you mind?" Gesturing to the cloth. "No," he says quietly. "Don't press on it." You gently dab on his cut, cleaning it out. He looks slightly pained but once you finish he looks relieved. You want to kiss him so bad right now, but you don't. You rest his leg on his blanket. "Goodnight, gally whatever your last name is."

"Goodnight."

You still feel restless. I mean, who could sleep after that? Your mind is just swirling with floating thoughts. I mean, first youre thinking about dirt then you're thinking about carrots, then you're thinking about Gally. Wait, what?

A few hours later you finally fall asleep. You can see visions of you getting killed in the maze, gally ragefully shouting, people with some sort of illness, and other horrible things. Your head quickly lifts from the sandy pillow. It was just a nightmare.

You look over at gally , who is still sound asleep. You can't help but feel sorry for him. For everyone. Everyone here with no family, no home, who knows nothing else of the world. You especially feel the greatest pity for chuck. He's just a boy. 12 or so. With little curly locks of  brown hair, and a cheerful smile that went well with his rosy cheeks. He shouldn't have to be here. He shouldn't have to be dealing with this. He should be outside playing soccer with his friends and called in for supper by his mother. His biggest worry should be the test on Monday, or if that little red head girl who sits in the back row likes him back or not. Not this. You're gonna get us all out of here. For chuck.