Mr. Fox

CHAPTER 7

CHAPTER 7

(3rd Person POV)

They head back to Mr. Beaver's house. On their way back they hear wolves howling, which are the police. "Hurry, Mother! They're after us!" Mr. Beaver says as they rush inside.

"Oh, right then," Mrs. Beaver says and starts packing a bag.

"What's she doing?" Peter asks.

"Oh, you'll be thanking me later. It's a long journey and Beaver gets pretty cranky when he's hungry," Mrs. Beaver asks.

"I'm cranky now!" Mr. Beaver says hearing the wolves.

"Do you think we'll need jam?" Susan asks as she helps Mrs. Beaver.

"Only if the Witch serves toast," Peter says.

"Hurry. Badger and me dug this. Comes out right near his place," Mr. Beaver says as they run down the tunnel underground.

"You told me it led to your mum's!" Mrs. Beaver scolds. Lucy trips and falls.

"Lucy!" Susan says.

"They're in the tunnel," Peter says hearing the wolves.

"Quick! This way. Hurry! Run! Quick! Quick! Quick!" Mr. Beaver says as they run.

"You should have brought a map!" Mrs. Beaver says.

"There wasn't room next to the jam," Mr. Beaver says before he starts climbing upward.

"Come on, Lucy!" Susan says as Peter pushes Lucy through the hole. They shove a barrel into the hole. Mr. Fox watches them from a distance.

"I'm so sorry, dear," Mrs. Beaver says as they see all the Narnians turned to stone, including Badger.

"He was my best mate," Mr. Beaver says.

"What happened here?" Peter asks.

"This is what becomes of those who cross the Witch," Mr. Fox says coming into view.

"You take one more step, traitor, and I'll chew you to splinters!" Mr. Beaver threatens.

"Relax. I'm one of the good guys," Mr. Fox states.

"Yeah? Well, you look an awful lot like one of the bad ones," Mr. Beaver says.

"An unfortunate family resemblance. But we can argue breeding later. Right now we've got to move," Mr. Fox says.

"What did you have in mind?" Peter asks and Mr. Fox smirks. Mr. Fox has them all climb a tree, before he dusts their foot prints away with his tail. The wolves burst out of the tunnel.

"Greetings, gents. Lost something, have we?" Mr. Fox asks.

"Don't patronize me!" Maugrim says. "I know where your allegiance lies. We're looking for some humans."

"Humans? Here in Narnia? That's a valuable bit of information, don't you think?" Mr. Fox asks before another wolf bites him and picks him up.

"Your reward is your life. It's not much, but still. Where are the fugitives?" Maugrim asks.

"North. They ran north," Mr. Fox says before hanging his head in defeat.

"Smell them out," Maugrim orders and the wolf holding Mr. Fox throws him. The wolves take off and everyone climbs down from the tree. Mrs. Beaver starts helping Mr. Fox with his wounds.

"They were helping Tumnus. The Witch got here before I did," Mr. Fox explains. "Ow."

"Are you all right?" Susan asks.

"Well, I wish I could say their bark was worse than their bite. Ow!" Mr. Fox answers.

"Stop squirming! You're worse than Beaver on bath day," Mrs. Beaver says.

"Worst day of the year," Mr. Beaver mumbles.

"Thank you for your kindness, but that's all the cure I have time for," Mr. Fox says getting up.

"You're leaving?" Lucy asks.

"It has been a pleasure, My Queen, and an honor, but time is short and Aslan himself has asked me to gather more troops for the Angel to train.

"You've seen Aslan and the Angel?" Mr. Beaver asks astonished.

"What are they like?" Mrs. Beaver asks excitedly.

"Aslan is like everything we've ever heard and the Angel is as beautiful and hopeful as described. You'll be glad to have them by your side in the battle against the Witch," Mr. Fox explains.

"But we're not planning on fighting any witch," Susan says.

"But surely, King Peter, the prophecy! We can't go to war without you," Mr. Fox says.

"We just want our brother back," Peter states and Mr. Fox takes off. The group sets out the next morning for the stone table.

Athena was able to find Father Christmas and they are now on their way to meet up with the Pevensies.

"Now, Aslan's camp is near the Stone Table just across the frozen river," Mr. Beaver explains.

"River?" Peter asks.

"The river's been frozen solid for a hundred years," Mr. Beaver answers as they look out across Narnia.

"It's so far," Susan says.

"It's the world, dear. Did you expect it to be small?" Mrs. Beaver asks.

"Smaller," Susan answers.

"When you're ready, Son of Adam," Mr. Beaver says and Peter nods. They start their journey again. "Come on, humans! While we're still young."

"If he tells us to hurry one more time, I'm gonna turn him into a big, fluffy hat," Peter, who is now carrying Lucy, says.

"Hurry up! Come on!" Mr. Beaver orders having seen a sleigh behind them.

"He is getting a little bossy," Susan states.

"Behind you! It's her! Run! Run!" Mr. Beaver explains. Peter sets Lucy down and they start running. "Run! Hurry!" Mr. Beaver finds a tiny cave. "Inside! Dive! Dive! Quick! Quick, quick, quick!" They see a shadow come to the edge and then disappear.

"Maybe she's gone," Susan whispers.

"I suppose I'll go look," Peter whispers as he goes to get up.

"No! You're worth nothing to Narnia dead," Mr. Beaver whispers as he gets ready to go check it out.

"Well, neither are you, Beaver," Mrs. Beaver whispers.

"Thanks, sweetheart," Mr. Beaver says before he goes to check it out.