The White Witch

CHAPTER 12

CHAPTER 12

(Athena POV)

A couple hours later after Edmund had rested; the Pevensies and I were eating.

"Narnia's not going to run out of toast, Ed," Lucy says making all of us smile. Peter looked deep in thought.

"I'm sure they'll pack something up for the journey back," Peter says. Everyone looks at him confused.

"We're going home?" Susan asks the question we were all wondering.

"You are. I promised Mum I'd keep you three safe. But it doesn't mean I can't stay behind and help," Peter answers.

"But they need us. All four of us," Lucy states.

"Lucy, it's too dangerous. You almost drowned! Edmund was almost killed!" Peter explains.

"Which is why we have to stay. I've seen what the White Witch can do. And I've helped her do it. And we can't leave these people behind to suffer for it," Edmund says.

"I suppose that's it then," Susan says getting up.

"Where are you going?" I ask her as she grabs her bow and quiver.

"To get in some practice," Susan says before she walks off with Lucy joining her.

"That's actually a good idea. Oreius and I will show you two how to actually wield a sword," I say as I stand and head for Oreius, with Peter and Edmund following behind. Oreius taught Edmund while I taught Peter. Afterwards, Oreius and I had them spar with each other while riding. Edmund rode Philip and Peter rode a Unicorn. I followed behind them, on Alistair, making corrections when needed.

"Come on, Ed! Swordpoint up, like Oreius, showed you," I called out.

"En garde!" Edmund called as he charged at Peter.

"Now block," I told Edmund as Peter went strike him.

"Hey! Peter! Edmund! Athena!" Mr. Beaver called out running towards us. We all stopped.

"Whoa, horsey!" Edmund told Philip clearly not knowing his name.

"My name is Philip," Philip says.

"Oh. Sorry," Edmund apologizes and Mr. Beaver finally reaches us.

"The Witch has demanded a meeting with Aslan. She's on her way here," Mr. Beaver says and we take off back to camp. We arrive and run up to Aslan's tent, meeting up with Susan and Lucy. I go up and stand between Oreius and Aslan. The Witch comes in being carried.

"Jadis, the Queen of Narnia! Empress of the Lone Islands!" A dwarf announces.

"You have a traitor in your midst, Aslan," The White Witch says.

"His offense was not against you," I state. The White Witch looks completely shocked and scared. She must not have known of my return.

"Have you forgotten the laws upon which Narnia was built?" The White Witch asks Aslan.

"Do not cite the Deep Magic to me, Witch. I was there when it was written," Aslan answers with a growl.

"Then you'll remember well that every traitor belongs to me. His blood is my property," The White Witch says.

"Try and take him then," Peter says as he unsheathes his sword.

"Do you really think that mere force will deny me, my right little King? Aslan and the Angel know that unless I have blood, as the law demands, all of Narnia will be overturned and perish in fire and water. That boy will die on the Stone Table as is tradition. You dare not refuse me," The White Witch explains.

"Enough," Aslan all but growls at her. "I shall talk with you alone," Aslan says before turning to go to his tent. I go to follow him but he turns and shakes his head no at me. After about 30 minutes the White Witch leaves the tent and Aslan came out afterward. We all look at Aslan in hope. "She has renounced her claim on the Son of Adam's blood."

"How do I know your promise will be kept?" The White Witch asks while standing in front of her seat. Aslan roars a mighty roar, scaring the Witch so much that she falls into her seat. Everyone is celebrating as the Witch leaves. I look over to Aslan seeing him hanging his head low. We make eye contact before heading to his tent. I follow him into the tent.

"Aslan, what is wrong?" I ask him.

"Nothing my child," Aslan answers.

"Aslan, please do not lie to me. I know you," I say as I go up and pet his mane.

"You mustn't tell the Pevensies," Aslan says and I nod. "I have taken Edmund's place."

"No. No! Tell me that it isn't true," I beg Aslan, feeling tears well up in my eyes.

"I wish that I could, my child," Aslan says and I run from the tent. I run to a field before falling and just crying.

"Athena," I hear before looking up and seeing Peter. Seeing him just makes me cry harder. Peter pulls me into a hug and just lets me cry. A while later, I finally quit crying. "What happened?"

"Nothing. It doesn't matter," I say standing up. Peter gives me a look, clearly not believing me. "Thank you for being there, though." Peter and I then walk back to camp. I head back to Aslan's tent, having decided to spend as much time as I can with him.