The River

CHAPTER 8

CHAPTER 8

(Athena POV)

The Beavers and the Pevenies run from the sleigh. They end up hiding in a cave. Mr. Beaver comes out to see if it is the White Witch. Mr. Beaver gets a huge smile on his face from seeing Father Christmas and I.

"Come out! Come out!" Mr. Beaver says as he goes over to the edge of the cave. "I hope you've all been good 'cause there's someone here to see you!" I get off of Alistair and pat him to give him a rest.

"Merry Christmas, sir," Lucy says as they come out of the cave and se Father Christmas.

"It certainly is, Lucy, since you have arrived," Father Christmas explains.

"Look, I've put up with a lot since I got here, but this..." Susan starts.

"We thought you were the Witch," Lucy says.

"Yes, yes, I'm sorry about that, but in my defense, I have been driving one of these longer than the Witch," Father Christmas explains.

"I thought there was no Christmas in Narnia," Peter states.

"No. For a long time. But the hope that you and the Angel have brought, Your Majesties, is finally starting to weaken the Witch's power. Still, I dare say you could do with these," Father Christmas says before pulling his bag off of the sleigh.

"Presents!" Lucy says.

"Athena, come help would you," Father Christmas says and I walk around where everyone can see me. Everyone is shocked.

"Athena, you're okay!" Lucy says excitedly and pulls me into a hug. "The others forgot who you were."

"Yes. When I left your world, you were the only one with a connection to Narnia. Therefore, only allowing you to remember me because I am a part of this world," I explain to her. "Now, presents." I hand Lucy's to Father Christmas before picking up Susan's.

"The juice of the fire-flower. One drop will cure any injury. And though I hope you never have to use it..." Father Christmas says as he hands Lucy the juice and a dagger.

"Thank you, sir, but I think I could be brave enough," Lucy says.

"I'm sure you could. But battles are ugly affairs," Father Christmas says before grabbing Susan's gift from me. I then pick up Peter's. "Susan. Trust in this bow and it will not easily miss." He hands a bow and quiver.

"What happened to 'battles are ugly affairs'?" Susan asks.

"Though you don't seem to have a problem making yourself heard, blow on this and wherever you are, help will come," Father Christmas explains as he hands her a horn.

"Thanks," Susan says. Father Christmas then grabs Peter's gift.

"Peter. The time to use these may be near at hand," Father Christmas says as he hands Peter his sword and shield.

"Thank you, sir," Peter says.

"These are tools, not toys. Bear them well and wisely. Now, I must be off. Winter is almost over, and things do pile up when you've been gone a hundred years. Long live Aslan! And Merry Christmas!" Father Christmas then takes off on his sleigh.

"Merry Christmas!" Susan and Lucy yell. I turn to Alistair and tell him to meet me on the other side of the river and he takes off.

"Told you he was real," Lucy says while sticking her tongue out at Susan.

"He said winter was almost over. You know what that means. No more ice," Peter explains.

"We need to go, now," I say before taking lead and heading to the river.

"We need to cross, now!" Peter says as we get there and see the ice starting to break.

"Don't beavers make dams?" Lucy asks.

"I'm not that fast, dear," Mr. Beaver explains.

"Come on!" I say and Peter follows behind me.

"Wait! Will you think about this for a minute?" Susan asks Peter.

"We don't have a minute," Peter answers.

"I'm just trying to be realistic," Susan says.

"No, you're trying to be smart. As usual," Peter says. I take a step on the ice and it creaks.

"Wait. Maybe I should go first," Mr. Beaver says.

"Maybe you should," Peter says grabbing my arm and pulling me back in a protective manner. Mr. Beaver starts over the ice and it creaks in certain spots.

"You've been sneaking second helpings, haven't you?" Mrs. Beaver asks.

"Well, you never know which meal's gonna be your last. Especially with your cooking," Mr. Beaver answers and we all start to go across.

"If Mum knew what we were doing..." Susan begins.

"Mum's not here," Peter says.

"Oh, no!" Lucy says and we look up to see the wolves running across the top of the waterfall in the river.

"Run! Hurry!" I say and we take off running. We get trapped by wolves on either side of us. One of the wolves traps Mr. Beaver.

"No!" Mrs. Beaver calls. Peter and I unsheathe our swords.

"Peter!" Susan says in shock.

"Put that down, boy. Someone could get hurt," Maugrim says as the wolf holds down on Mr. Beaver.

"Don't worry about me! Run him through!" Mr. Beaver says.

"Give us the Princess and leave now while you can, and your brother leaves with you," Maugrim says and everyone looks at me in shock.

"Stop, Peter! Maybe we should listen to him!" Susan says.

"Smart girl," Maugrim states.

"Don't listen to him! Kill him! Kill him now!" Mr. Beaver orders.

"Oh, come on. This isn't your war. All my Queen wants is for you to take your family and go," Maugrim says.

"You liar!" I call out.

"Look, just because some man in a red coat hands you a sword, it doesn't make you a hero! Just drop it!" Susan orders.

"No, Peter! Narnia needs you!" I tell him.

"Gut him while you still have a chance!" Mr. Beaver says.

"What's it gonna be, Son of Adam? I won't wait forever. And neither will the river," Maugrim says as the waterfall begins to crack.

"Peter!" Susan calls.

"Hold onto me!" Peter yells as he slams his sword into the ice causing it to break. We start to float down the rough river. Peter grabs onto Lucy's coat but she slips out of it. I follow her through the river. I pull her to safety before the current drags me under.

"Athena!" Lucy calls before my head goes below water.