No Goodbye

CHAPTER 18

CHAPTER 18

10 Years Later

(3rd Person POV)

The night of the coronation, Athena had taken the bracelet that Aslan gave her off. Since then she aged normally, alongside the Pevensies. Peter and Athena are still going strong, just not married yet. Peter is thinking of asking her tonight when he and his siblings return from their trip. In the last weeks, there were reports of a magical white stag. So the Pevensies had been searching for it, while Athena stayed at Cair Paravel to watch over things. The siblings were riding along before Philip, Edmund's horse stopped.

"Are you all right, Philip?" Edmund asks.

"I'm not as young as I once was," Philip answers and Edmund pats his neck.

"Come on, Ed," Susan says as she comes back to where Edmund is.

"Just catching my breath," Edmund says.

"That's all we'll catch at this rate," Susan mocks.

"What did he say, Susan?" Lucy asks as she and Peter join them.

"'Wait in the castle. I'll get the stag myself.'" Susan mocks Edmund from when they left the castle. They all laugh.

"What's this?" Peter asks as he hops down off of his horse. They all look to see a lamppost wrapped in vines. "It seems familiar." They all dismount off of their horses.

"As if from a dream. Or a dream of a dream," Lucy says as she looks at it. "Spare Oom." Lucy somewhat remembers.

"Lucy!" Peter calls as she takes off.

"Not again," Susan says as she follows Lucy with the boys following her.

"Lu?" Peter calls out.

"Come on!" Lucy says as she picks up her pace. They walk into a dense part of the forest.

"These aren't branches," Peter says as they push their way through.

"They're coats," Susan says.

"Susan, you're on my foot!" Edmund calls.

"Peter, move off!" Susan calls out.

"Stop shoving," Peter says. "Stop it!"

"I'm not on your toe!" Susan says. A door pops open and they all fall to the ground. They look around confused because they are once again, their younger selves.

"Oh, there you are," Digory says as he enters the room with a ball in his hand. "What were you all doing in the wardrobe?"

"You wouldn't believe us if we told you, sir," Peter answers and Digory throws him the ball.

"Try me," Digory says.

"What about Athena?" Lucy suddenly asks. Peter is the first to move and runs back inside the wardrobe only to find the back of it and not Narnia.

"I don't think you'll get back in that way. You see, I've already tried," Digory explains as Peter comes out of the wardrobe with tears in his eyes.

"Will we ever go back?" Peter asks hopefully.

"Oh, I expect so. But it'll probably happen when you're not looking for it. All the same best to keep your eyes open," Digory answers. "Now tell me everything." Lucy, Edmund, and Susan all stand to follow Digory to his office. Peter feels something in his pants pocket. He pulls out the ring that he was going to propose to Athena with. Susan pulls Peter into a hug as he breaks down crying.

Meanwhile, in Narnia, Athena is going over some paperwork when she feels four tugs of magic.

"No. It can't be," Athena rushes outside and finds the Pevensies horses entering the courtyard without riders. "No!" Athena runs to the stable and quickly saddles Alistair. Athena then rides as fast as she can to the lamppost. She finds the Pevensies trail and follows it to where the wardrobe should be. She could see the coats but as she goes forward she is stopped by some type of barrier.

"Something that is Narnia can never leave Narnia," Athena hears Aslan's voice in her head. When she died and Aslan gave her a new life, she became an official part of Narnia and cannot leave now. Athena falls to the ground sobbing. She eventually goes back to the castle and informs everyone of what has happened before entering her room. She sees the bracelet that Aslan had given her long ago sitting on her vanity. She puts the bracelet on before looking in the mirror. When she looks in the mirror she is shocked to see herself transform into her 16-year-old self. Now, what was she to do without the Pevensies....