Chapter 23

Kiran's POV

I watched in fear and confusion as Sangwoo walked up to Takumi and tried to stare him down. They muttered some inaudible things before finally Sangwoo and his minions decided to leave. I got up and Takumi walked to me. He rescued me... But why...? I thought he despised me... Didn't he? 

"Uh, thank you, Takumi..."

"You don't have to thank me. Also, I can see the confusion on your face. You're probably wondering why I saved you just now after... all that. It's because I knew he was going after you and I had to do something about it..."

"Wait, how did you know he was going after me?"

Takumi looked down and scratched the back of his head. "Well... It's kind of a long story..."

I just nodded and turned to walk away—I really didn't want to be around him— when he stopped me quickly.

"Wait, Kiran... Listen, I really am sorry about everything. If you'd let me, I'll explain everything to you and why it happened... But just know that I really am so sorry about doing that to you... Just thinking about it makes me wanna kill myself, but I can't begin to imagine how it must have felt for you... It may not have been entirely my fault, but I have no excuse for what I did and I understand that..."

His words sounded pretty genuine. I searched his eyes to see if I could find any hint of lies. All I could see was remorse and guilt for his actions and I knew he was telling the truth. I smiled at him and put a hand on his shoulder.

"Thank you, Takumi. And it's okay. I won't forgive you right away... But I do accept your apology. I'll forgive you eventually."

Takumi smiled and suddenly remembered something and reached into his pocket. My eyes widened as he pulled out a familiar looking necklace.

"Wait, that's... You actually had that the entire time?"

"Hehe, yeah. No one actually noticed that I secretly took it out of the box before letting it go... And up until now, no one except you knows that I still have it. I kept it as a reminder that, if I ever saw you again, I needed to apologize to you and return this to you, because I don't deserve it..."

This is the Takumi I know; one of the most humble, understanding and kindest boys I've ever known. He held out the necklace for me to take back, but I pushed it back to him and closed his hand.

"Keep it. I know you think you don't deserve it, and maybe you don't, but after today and your apology, I think you do. Besides, I bought it for you, so you should keep it."

He smiled widely and held out his hand. "So, I really want to explain what happened that day, but I think it can wait... Can we be friends...?"

I smiled and shook his hand. "Of course we can."

Time skip to Hunter's house

It feels so awkward right now... Hunter, Jaxon and I barely said a word to each other for the entire time since we got into the car and even now. I don't know how he's feeling about this... Even Jaxon must be feeling like shit right about now. I mean, it's been arranged for me to marry his boyfriend... The boy he's been in love with for three years... 

Hunter and I sat in silence in his room, only speaking about work. It made me feel horrible. Jaxon didn't even say anything to either of us... And I think Leo is coming over, which will just make things more awkward... 

"Hey, Kiran?" I almost jumped as I heard Hunter's voice come from the other side of the room.  

"Huh? What's up?"