Wings

Mama told me not to waste my life,
She said spread your wings my little butterfly
Don't let what they say keep you up at night
And they can't detain you
'Cause wings are made to fly
And we don't let nobody bring us down
No matter what you say it won't hurt me
Don't matter if I fall from the sky
These wings are made to fly

The Perspective of Jade Thirlwall

I watched as Jesy furiously scribbled lines onto the paper that formed the last words of our first song written together. "Done." She said, and the blonde girl sitting beside her, who was also holding onto the older teen's hand tightly, squealed in excitement. "Yes!" She exclaimed and Jesy rolled her eyes playfully. "Calm yourself, babe." Jesy said smoothly. It felt like Jesy was subtly flirting with the other Geordie, and I could tell she thought that too because the blonde was blushing. "Sorry." She said shyly before looking away from Jesy. All she did was laugh before standing up in her combat boots, giving me a subtle wink. "Alright, let's get inside since class is about to start." She said before walking into the school. She noticed that Perrie was trailing behind her like a lost puppy, I could see it in her eyes, so she held the door for her. "Thanks Jes." Perrie said before giving her a light kiss on the cheek which caused Jesy's cheeks to ignite. I walked inside and Jesy followed Perrie, Leigh-Anne right behind me. I felt in my pocket for the object I had been hiding from Leigh-Anne for quite a bit of time.

The four of us walked behind each other in the hallways before we reached our destination. "Listen, girls. Doesn't matter if they like the song or not, I'm just glad that we've worked together." Leigh-Anne spoke as she fiddled with her guitar pick. I smiled at her words, glancing at the guitar that was on her back, connected in some way to the strap that was over her shoulder. I glanced up and down her body as my mind flashed back to last night. All the things I wanted to say to her, about how I needed her badly, about what was hidden in my pocket, just everything. I couldn't say much, though. I played with the object in my pocket even more, hoping I wouldn't be so nervous. I bit my lip as I walked into the classroom, my hand in Leigh-Anne's.

"Hey look, it's the gays!" Louis shouted from the back of the classroom. "Hey look it's the straight, self absorbed, kid in the back of the class that no one cares about. Kiss your own-" I started as the class erupted in 'oooo's and laughter, someone even went for a high five at me that I gracefully accepted. I don't know why, but that moment filled me with ecstasy. That was just a taste of being popular, I assumed, and I still wasn't popular, it was just that feeling. "Settle down Jade and Louis." Ms. Cabello interrupted. I rolled my eyes before taking a deep breath, scanning the classroom, and exhaling it.

The dark haired teacher eyed me and that's when I knew it was time to truly stop. I looked at Leigh-Anne and she pulled her guitar from her back. Jesy, Perrie, Leigh, and I stood in front of the classroom, Louis glaring at me. "Hey guys," Leigh-Anne said in her usually sweet voice which constantly had everyone falling for her somehow. "we're Little Mix." She continued and looked over at me, gripping my hand tightly. I could feel the tension in the classroom, causing my throat to grow tight. "We wrote a song and it's called Wings." Jesy spoke and smiled at Perrie which caused me to get that feeling inside, that feeling you get when you see another couple, or almost couple, being lovey dovey.

"One, two, three." Leigh-Anne spoke before she started on her guitar, strumming the strings gently as the four of us sang. We had only a short amount of time to learn the harmonies and memorize the lyrics, but we had something. For that reason, I was shocked to look around the classroom and see other people shocked by our performance, jaws dropped slightly, even Louis'. I couldn't take my eyes off of Leigh the entire time I was singing, some people noticed and 'aww'ed a bit. I kissed Leigh-Anne on the cheek gently when the bridge came and Jesy was playfully bumping against Perrie with her 'hey's. All of that caused an uproar of cheers and laughter from the class as we entered back into the last chorus of the song, Leigh-Anne and I focused on each other more than our singing and her playing. "Wings were made to fly." We finished, looking at each other with smirks across our faces as the entire class cheered for us. "Woop!" Harry shouted from beside Louis. "I've got one thing to say." I spoke before Ms. Cabello could interrupt. She nodded respectfully and my eyes found their way to my love.

I cleared my throat softly and looked into the girl's chocolate eyes. "Listen, there's a lot we've been through. I mean attacks and fights, It's been hectic in these past two months. I've been really, really bad towards you." I said, my voice shaky. I wasn't sure if I was ready for this moment, if I should back down. Yet I knew I couldn't, I was in it now. "I just.. I know I can't really explain how much I love you in words," I started and chewed on my lower lip. "but I'm hoping this is enough." I finished before getting down on one knee, fishing in my pocket, pulling out a box that was covered in velvet. "Prom?" I said finally, flipping open the box so that the shiny ring inside was facing her. It was a bold, diamond ring that I had bought from a jewelry store about three hours away from here. I thought it would be the perfect time to do it now. The class exploded into roars as soon as the words escaped my mouth easier that I thought they would. I looked around the class then up at Leigh-Anne, her eyes filled with tears now. She nodded just enough for someone up close to see, just as the class was settling down. Somehow they all saw her nod and they cheered again. I stood up to slide the ring on her finger, it fit perfectly. I placed my hands on her cheeks and pulled her face towards mine, enjoying a chaste kiss.