Academy

"I see," Strange mumbled, looking thoughtfully between the two sat opposite him. "So, you are older versions of the current student versions of you, pulled back to inhabit them."

"In short, yes," she nodded, glancing at Loki who was simply leaning back in his seat with crossed arms.

"But these consciences don't recall doing this in your own pasts?"

"No."

"Okay, but you did fiddle with creating the portal that according to these," he held up a series of papers that Loki had passed over of their experiment, "you were working on as a project?"

"Yes."

"All right, that's simple enough to understand."

"Simple? How is it simple?"

"Your past selves managed to do what you didn't, accomplished something that perhaps you weren't supposed to accomplish in the first place and, by my guess, you have switched place with them," Strange shrugged, setting Loki's papers down on the desk between them all. "If I'm correct, did you want the portal to do that?"

"I don't even remember why we thought making a portal would be a great project," she laughed, looking to Loki again who only shook his head and pulled a face to say that he also didn't know. "But," she continued, "why were we switched if we didn't manage to the first time?"

"They created a new timeline."

Both of them turned their attention to Loki, who was now sat forward in his seat, the fingertips pressed together between his long splayed legs.

"Excuse me?" She said, looking to Strange who nodded his confirmation.

"That's also my guess, you didn't manage to make more than a beautiful vortex in a frame, they managed to somehow open up a new world that pulled you both back, them forward and meanwhile created a new timeline in which this happened for you all."

"So, things will be different when we go back?"

"Not at all, it'll still seem as normal as any other day, just in their future they will remember opening a portal and age swapping with their future selves."

She sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose, closing her eyes.

"This is giving me a headache, I can't wrap my head around it."

"It seems very easy to me," Strange smiled.

"Will their future be different too?"

"Possibly, though I doubt it."

"If anything, at least they have a warning as to what to expect in the future," Loki chuckled, smirking a little.

"How can you get this so easily?" She grumbled, pressing her head between her hands, "I must have lingering baby brain."

"Baby brain?"

Loki smiled proudly, leaning closer to put an arm over her shoulder and pressing a kiss to her temple.

"Yes," he said, "we are expecting our first child together."

"I see," Strange nodded, "not a pairing I expected to happen, but congratulations all the same."

"Thank you, Stephen," she smiled, rest her head against Loki's shoulder.

"So, Midgardian wizard," Loki chuckled, "is there anything you can do to help?"

Strange rolled his eyes but suppressed a comeback as he shifted in his chair.

"Perhaps there is, but why should I?"

"Because my 'future' wife is your best friend?"

Strange stared at him silently, unblinkingly, before letting out a long sigh.

"You're right, but I'm helping for her, not you."

"Like I'd expect anything else."

"Thank you so much," she smiled, "I'll repay you sometime, even if it's in the future."

"We're still friends?"

"The best of."

He nodded, letting a smile cross his lip pleasantly.

"Good, I'm glad."