Chapter 2

I anxiously tapped my hands on the steering wheel as I drove to Jay's townhouse. Since it was a Saturday, neither of us had to work, so I had plenty of time to do whatever I wanted after I talked to him. I wasn't thrilled at the idea of going to his place, but I had a feeling it wasn't going to be a good conversation and it probably shouldn't happen in a public place in case I get the sudden urge to slap him.

I met Jay at a club one night when I was out with a few friends. He was the definition of tall, dark and handsome. Just over six foot two, dark brown hair and perfectly tanned skin, not to mention completely ripped from his daily trips to the gym. Just about every girl at the club that night was drooling over him and for some reason he took an interest in me. I wasn't unattractive, but definitely not the most beautiful girl there either. Five foot six, blonde and blue-eyed, skinny, but I definitely liked to eat. It felt like a dream, someone like him pursuing me.

However, the more time I spent with him, the more I realized it was more of a nightmare than a dream. He became increasingly aggressive as time went on, usually brought on by excessive drinking. He had never hit me, but he was rough with me. The more this happened, the more timid I became. I wasn't one to sleep around or jump in bed with someone right off the bat, so he began showing his true colors before it had a chance of happening. It came to the point where I was almost afraid to have sex with him because of how brutal he could be. It just didn't feel right. The icing on the cake was finding out that he had been cheating on me. Of course, it was my fault. He has needs that I wasn't fulfilling and he had to get it from somewhere. That's how he phrased it, at least. I thought back to our first date around six months ago, only a couple of days after meeting him for the first time.

"Only five more, you can do it!" Jay smiled, looking down at me.

I groaned as I struggled to finish the work out that Jay had helped me with. I had mentioned to him when we met a couple of days ago that I was struggling to get back into shape after a car accident I had a few months ago. He offered to show me some modified moves, so we met at the gym one night after work.

"Two more." He stated, squatting as he held my feet down while I finished doing sit-ups.

"And...You're done." He smiled.

"Finally." I sighed, laying back on the mat. I took a few breaths and he sat down cross-legged beside me.

"How did the modifications feel?" He asked, looking down at me.

"Better. They really helped." I said, sitting up. "Thank you."

"No problem." He smiled. "Do you have time to grab dinner?"

"Sure." I replied.

He stood up, offering me a hand and I took it gratefully.

"You can ride with me, if you want, and I can drop you back by here when we're finished." He offered.

"Sounds good." I smiled, as we walked out to his car.

We went to a burger place just down the street and spent two hours talking. Once the check came, I reached for it.

"No, let me!" He jumped in, reaching for it himself.

"I've got it." I smiled. "I owe you for helping me with the workout, anyway."

"No, I insist. I don't usually let the woman pay." He said, shaking his head.

I rolled my eyes playfully and smiled. "I only let a guy pay for me for one of two reasons. Either we're on a date, or he owes me for something...and you don't owe me anything."