Chapter 23

It had been weeks since Conor and I fought. We'd been communicating better and talking about marriage and the future. I had become at ease and comfortable about it. For Conor, it seemed like the more we brought it up, the happier he became at the thought. He would speak of it casually, trying not to look over enthusiastic, but his eyes would light up and he would show this rare genuine smile that I didn't get to see very often.

"I'm taking you out tonight."

I looked over at Conor from my place on the couch, an amused smile on my face. My legs were on his lap and I laid my book down as I gave him a questioning look.

"What's the occasion?" I asked.

"I just feel like treating you. We've been together six months now and I think that's something to celebrate." He smiled.

"Okay." I replied suspiciously.

"Be ready by six. Dress nice."

~*~

Hours later, Conor opened the door of his Mercedes for me as I stepped out in front of the entrance to one of LA's nicest restaurants. He handed his keys to the valet and guided me inside, his hand on my lower back. We were led to our table as soon as Conor gave the hostess his name for the reservation, in an area that was a more secluded part of the restaurant.

"You look absolutely stunning tonight." Conor smiled, reaching for my hand across the table.

"You don't look so bad yourself." I replied, laughing lightly. "This place is really nice."

"I wanted to take you somewhere you've never been before."

"So do I get to know what's going on now?" I asked, a small smirk on my face.

"What do you mean?" He questioned.

"The flowers, the bracelet..." I said, holding up my wrist, showing the new diamond and sapphire bracelet he'd gotten me. "..The fancy restaurant, and the fact that you've been extra attentive tonight...not that I'm complaining." I smiled.

"What? I can't just want to spoil you for a day?" He asked.

"Conor, come on. You're not very good at playing dumb." I giggled.

He sighed. "I was really hoping to wait until later."

"Might as well tell me now." I smiled.

He forced a smile back, opening his mouth to speak just as the waiter approached us. He introduced himself, asking to take our drink order and I insisted that water was fine, although Conor opted for some drink I didn't pay much attention to the name of.

"As you were saying." I pressed, resting my chin on my hand.

"Um, well...I've been having a lot of meetings with the label lately. My contract is up soon, but they want me to sign on again." He started.

"That's great." I replied. "Are you going to?"

"Well, I actually got a call the other day from my old label back in London." He continued, eyes shifting from me to the table.I silently waited for him to continue, nodding when he looked back up at me."They also would like me to sign with them again. They've offered me more money." He muttered.

The waiter appeared again, placing our drinks on the table. I forced a smile as we ordered our food, thanking him before he walked away.My smile dropped back to a serious expression as I directed my attention back to Conor.

"So...you're thinking about moving back to London?" I questioned, taking a sip of water as my throat became suddenly dry.

He nodded hesitantly. We sat in silence for a moment as I took a deep breath, processing what he had just told me.