Chapter 14

Conor didn't waste any time after I agreed to see a counselor. They agreed to fit me in today and within hours I was sitting on a sofa across from a middle aged woman, glasses perched on her nose and her brunette hair in a tight bun. A black pencil skirt hugged her slim figure with a black blazer to match, and black heels on her feet. Everything you would typically picture a shrink to be.

"I'm sure it was terrifying for you." She said gently.

I shifted on the couch, glancing at the door as I thought about Conor waiting for me on the other side of it."Yeah, sure. I'm okay, though. I wasn't hurt." I shrugged.

She nodded. "Maybe not physically."

I didn't respond as I glanced at the clock again. We had been at this for half an hour. I checked the clock every few minutes, waiting for it to be over. I was fine. I didn't need to talk about what happened. There was nothing TO talk about.

"You must be thankful your boyfriend showed up. How long have you been together?" She asked.

"Not long." I replied shortly.

"How did you meet?" She questioned.

"We've been friends for years." I shrugged.

"Funny how things can change, huh?" She smiled. "What made you decide to get involved romantically?"

I turned my head to look at her and my eyes narrowed. "I don't know. He's always been a good friend."

"Surely there had to be a reason, though. Something specific that happened." She tried to smile innocently, but I could tell she was prying.

"Not really. He helped me while I was going through a hard time, I guess." I replied nonchalantly.

"The breakup, you mean."I nodded."Your ex boyfriend...did he know Conor well?" She questioned.

"No. He had no interest in being around my friends." I said bluntly.

"He must've been upset to find out you and he had gotten together after the breakup." She said.

"How exactly does this relate to my ex attacking me?" I asked.

"I'm just trying to understand the situation better." She said softly.

"I'm pretty sure the police did that. Aren't you supposed to be helping me cope with the attack and making sure I don't go crazy or something?"

She chuckled. "Layla, I'm here to help with whatever you need. In any area of life."

I looked at the clock again. Five minutes left. Close enough. "Can I go?"

"You're free to leave any time you want." She smiled.

"What do I owe you?" I questioned.

"Your boyfriend took care of it already." She replied.

"Thank you." I nodded politely and stood, pausing as she called my name.

"If you need anything, call me any time, okay?"

"Thanks." I muttered, forcing a smile and heading for the door.

Conor stood up as I approached him. "How did it go?"

"Fine. You didn't have to pay for it, you know." I replied.

"I know, but it was my idea and you were reluctant." He shrugged. "Plus, I wanted to."

"Thank you." I smiled.

Conor drove us back to his house to find Anth and Hannah sitting on the couch waiting for us. Hannah immediately pulled me into a hug when I came through the door.