Chapter 22: graduation

9 months pregnant and graduating high school as valour victorian.

"And now a few words from our valour Victorian Melony Jones-Cooper," weatherbee says. I stand up and make my way to the stage.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, friends and family, teachers, students, and most of all Graduates of the Class of Riverdale high. It is an honor to speak to you on this special occasion. Alfred Lord Tennyson ended his poem "Ulysses" with the line "To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." Indeed, we have done so. We are graduating today, finally" I say, cheers and whoops erupt from the crowd. I feel a pressure on my stomach it starts to hurt really badly. I walk off the stage as fast as I can.

I sit down next to Archie.

"Archie I believe I have gone into labor," I say calmly. We then stand up as he ushers me away. He helps me into the car.

"Ooooooooowwww," I groan.

"It's okay just breathe, breathe in breathe out," Archie says. He drives really fast. We get to the hospital and he helps me in as I waddle. Archie runs up to the desk and talks to the lady she ushers someone to get a wheelchair and we get assigned to a room we wait.

"Hey——— can you———message everyone," I say through the contractions. As the anaesthesiologist walks in.

"Oh thank god, can you give me a epidural?" I ask.

"Yep I just need you to lay on your side," the doctor says. I lay to my side. I feel a coldness then a prick in my spine.

"Okay time to push,"

———————————————————

"You can do it Mel,"

————————————————————

"Almost there,"

————————————————————

"Here she is," the doctor says. I see a little baby in his arms.

"She perfect," I say. As I watch them clean her off. They give me my baby she has some messy white hair. I hold her close. And see tears in Archie's eyes. I look over to my other side and see my mom, dad, my two brothers and sisters, I see Fred and Mary Andrews. This child is going to be so loved.

I sleep for the first time in months.

I wake up and she's gone I sit up and look around. She's lying on Archie's chest. Their chest rising and falling in sync. I see Archie Stirr from sleep as he rubbs his eyes and looks over at me.

"Luna," I say.  He goes to open his mouth. "No, nope that's her name," I say.

"I was just going to say that I agree," he says.