the losers club

"What happened here?" Richie asked, panicked, to a police officer

"You don't need to know." The police man was brawny, tall, and intimidating.

Richie stood his ground. "Yes I do."

"Some lady poisoned her husband."

Shock crawled through his body. His mother intentionally poisoned his father. He expected his father to hurt his mother, but this? This was extremely odd.

"W-what?"

He looked toward his house, where his father (still alive) was being wheeled on a stretcher into an ambulance.

"She turned herself in. If you ask me, I think she's bonkers."

His mother was not 'bonkers'. She may have been a nuisance and a horrible person, but she was no where near crazy. She must've known what she was doing. She was being led out of the house in handcuffs with bruises all over her. This surely meant that he was actually an orphan.

He was homeless. There was no way that the officers would let him into a crime scene. Richie ran and ran, tears streaming down his face. He tripped over a total of three times, not caring about his clumsiness and the tears covering his lenses. Before he knew what he was doing, he was knocking on Eddie Kaspbrak's window.

Eddie was in his dark room, curled up in his sheets, wrapped in Richie's coat. He was still listening to his Walkman and was fussing in his sleep. He was having a nightmare.

Richie let himself in, knowing Eddie always forgot to lock his window. He looked at Eddie for a moment, then looked to his cassette tape.

The words 'the losers club' were written neatly onto the tape. Eddie made a tape with songs that reminded him of his friends. Even when he was staring in the face of heartbreak, Richie smiled at how precious his Eddie was.

Eddie began to speak, "no- please g-get away-" Richie couldn't bear it. He shook Eddie's shoulders, startling the poor boy. "Richie? What are you doing here?" The song that was playing was 'Forever Young' by Alphaville. The song was soothing, but caused him strange immense anxiety.

"Something bad happened." Richie forgot that he'd been crying as he choked up on his words. "Something really bad happened and I have nowhere to go."

Eddie held his arms out to Richie as if to say 'cuddle me'.

Richie gladly obliged and took his shoes off and crawled into bed next to Eddie.

"Tell me what happened, Chee."

Richie would've pointed out that Eddie called him a cute pet name, but decided to be serious. "My mom and dad are- they-" The tears really began to pour out as Richie tucked his head into the crook of Eddie's neck.

"It's okay, just breathe, take your time,"

"I-oh fuck. My mom tried to kill my dad. The bastard probably fuh-fucking deserved it. I haven't seen that many people outside my house since the parade march."