Chapter 10: Feels Like Home

Desi was resting on the couch, struggling to fight her Narcolepsy. She kept herself awake by thinking… She felt like Peter didn’t really understand her feelings… She loved him. He was faithful. She didn’t see another woman in his house besides herself. But she didn’t want to force him to be with her… that would just be crude. Desi started to fantasize about what it would be like to date Peter… When he wasn’t being violent, he seemed like a charming, sweet man. Soon, she was awoken from her thoughts when she saw Peter walk into the room, stumbling slightly. He slowly sat on the couch next to her, Desi sat up and moved her legs so that he could sit comfortably. He slowly leaned forward, and stared at the blank TV… his blink rate was very slow, and his breathing was too. He was staring intently into the blank screen, as if looking at his own reflection.
Desi felt uneasy from the silence in the room, followed by Peter’s sedated like actions. He looked like he just shot up a needle full of Heroine.
He blinked slowly and looked at her. “Hello.”
Desi felt a wave of nervousness hit her, she cleared her throat quietly. “Um… Hello…”
“Mmmhm. Sleep fine?” Peter asked, tilting his head slightly.
Desi slowly nodded, staring into his eyes to see if he was on anything… nothing.
“That’s n-nice…” Peter stuttered… He never stuttered before… he seemed really off.
“Are you okay?” Desi asked, raising an eyebrow.
“…Sure…” Peter spoke, turning to look away from her.
“Are you sure? Are you high?” Desi asked, sitting up and going to touch his shoulder, but Peter stopped her by grabbing her wrist.
“I’m… fine…” He spoke in a monotone voice. He let go of her wrist when she pulled her hand away.
Desi slowly accepted his words and laid back down. “Okay…” Desi felt her Narcolepsy getting stronger, now that she couldn’t think clearly.
Peter looked at her and covered his mouth with his knuckles. “I think you should get on some medicine that Narco-Whatever you have.”
Desi opened her eyes and looked at him. “Well what would I take…?”
“I can buy you Xyrem.” Peter said, dropping his hand.
“Thanks Peter…” Desi hummed, before falling asleep.
Peter stared at her for a moment, before getting up, patting her arm, then walking out to the car.
While Desi was asleep, Ruby and Bear were playing in the living room, keeping an eye on Desi. Bear would occasionally sniff under her nose to see if she was breathing.
About an hour later, Peter returned, carrying a bag. He walked inside and walked up next to Desi. He dropped the bag in her arms. “HE—” He coughed, stopping himself from yelling. “Desi. Im home.” He spoke calmly.
Desi mumbled something in her sleep, which was unintelligible.
“Desi.” He repeated. “I brought you something.”
Desi slowly opened her eyes, shielding her face from the light, she looked at him. “…Are you an angel?” She asked.
Peter chuckled and rolled his eyes. “The exact opposite, maybe.” He joked.
“How long have I been asleep…?” Desi asked.
“An hour?” Peter estimated.
Desi sat up after a moment and stretched. “I guess its time to get up.”
“Yeah. It is.” Peter grabbed the bag and grabbed an item from the bag, and handed it to her. It was a small container with some Chinese food in it.
“How did you know?” Desi asked, smiling.
“I’ve known you for a long time, Des.” Peter hummed, taking a small Xyrem box out of the bag. “Are you afraid of needles?” Peter asked.
Desi swallowed nervously and nodded, her face pale. “Deathly.”
Peter took the large syringe out of the box. “Well youre gonna have to get over that.” He said, without any sympathy.
Desi whimpered as he brought the needle closer.