Chapter Five

I wave goodbye to Crys as she pulls out of the driveway. I walk inside, finding my mom already asleep on the couch. I smile, and walk into the kitchen. James is sitting at the table, reading the paper. "Hey, sweet pea."

"Hey, Jimmy." I drop into the seat across from him. 

"What's wrong?" He sets his paper down. 

"I was offered another job."

"That's great, sweetie!"

"But, I wouldn't be home as often. I'd be gone a lot."

"Well, what is this job?"

"You know that popular boy band, One Direction?" He nods. "Their tour manager came in today, and heard Crys and I talking, and, well, he wanted to know if I'd be interested in being their stylist."

"What'd you say?"

"I told I'd have to get back to him. That I'd need to talk with my momma."

"I see." He scratches the back of his neck. "I personally think you should go for it. It's your dream job. But you have to speak with your momma about it."

I nod. "I'm gonna go upstairs," I get up, and give James a hug. 

"Night, sweet pea."

"Night, Jimmy."

I head to my room, and grab my shower things. I sigh to myself. After a warm shower, I pull on sweats and a hoodie, and lie face-down on my bed. I groan, weighing the pros and cons. 

This has always been my dream job. 

I won't be home often. 

I've wanted this forever. 

I won't see my momma. 

I'll travel the world. 

I won't see the twins or James. 

I can make more money for them. 

I'd miss St. Armand's. 

I'll be able to video chat them.

I'd have to leave Crystal. 

We'd text everyday. 

This is once-in-a-lifetime. 

I could maybe bring Crys along for a week or so. 

My momma told me to chase my dreams, to be like a butterfly and fly off, showing my true colors. 

The pros begin to stack up unevenly larger than the cons. I groan again. 

Why's this so hard? I really want to say yes, but my family, my friends, my city. I'd have to leave it all behind me. No more midnight fridge raids with James, no more movie nights with Momma, no more dressing Lottie and Will, no more working, or midnight beach walks, or makeovers with Crystal...

The thoughts swirl around my head, as I find myself drifting off. 

-:-

I'm woken up by my mom, and I realize that it's Christmas Eve. On Christmas Eve, we visit James' family. On Christmas Day, we go to my grandmother and grandfather's – or Gran and Gramp's – ranch in Alabama. James' parents' home – where we're going – is a ten hour drive, so we leave early. I check the time. 1 am. 

"C'mon," she whispers. "I packed your phone and iPod chargers, and clothes and toiletries. Grab your phone and iPod, and earbuds."

I grab the previously stated things, shoving them in my kangaroo pocket. I also pick up a blanket and my pillow, before following my mom to James' red pickup. James is already passed out in the passenger seat, and the babies are asleep, strapped in. I scoot in, behind my mom, and shut the door. I plug in my earbuds, and close my eyes as my mom begins to drive away. I slowly drift off, Hunter Hayes playing in my ears.